• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

MeepoDM

First Post
Thats actually very cool, Darrell. I'm horrid at coming up with original trap ideas so this is an absolute treasure chest!

greywulf

First Post
Darrell said:
I took the "Other Hazards" paragraph from the latest version of the rules and expanded it a bit--more information about poisons (including listing for all the critters with 'poison' attacks listed in the Monsters List pdf), added in a section on Diseases, and another on Traps (featuring 3 traps of each Encounter Level). Another two pages. :]

Very good yet again, but a bit wordy. I reckon you could get this down to just a single page with some editing. Then replace the Monsters from the core rules with this to have the Player's section on one side and the GM's section on the other. Add in your Monsters and spells printed double-sided and you've got the complete system on just 3 sheets of paper.

I'll upload the .rtf of the core rules later today with the changes for spell costs if you want to fiddle with the layout a little :)

We could lose the Hazards section from the Player's section (as you've got it covered in here), and replace it with.........what?

Random encounter chart? Random dungeon generator?

Any more ideas?

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
Very good yet again, but a bit wordy. I reckon you could get this down to just a single page with some editing.

That hasn't been a problem from my POV. :) I use one-inch margins and 9-point Verdana font for the basic documents because as I finish these things I'm putting 'em into a heavy clear vinyl folder thingy (used to be a menu from a local restaurant that shut down). I've got two of 'em...one that I'm putting 'player information' in, and one for 'GM information.' I have eight and six pages (respectively) to play with. As a result, my 'Basic Rules' document has been revised a bit, and is actually 2 1/2 pages long--and I still haven't finished working on my 'Turn Undead' situation (I've added CHA back in as of yesterday, and put in short racial descriptions and such, as well as adding a chart for ability bonuses instead of the one line in your original document. I've never posted any of my revised document, because it's just my 'house rules' version, and I wanted all my posts to be based on your original document.), and am also awaiting your future revisions. In the case of the GM Guide page, some of the wordiness comes because I wanted all the poisons listed from the monsters that had 'poison' attacks listed in the Monster List, and wanted at least three of every EL for traps.

greywulf said:
I'll upload the .rtf of the core rules later today with the changes for spell costs if you want to fiddle with the layout a little :)

I'll see what I can do. I'm actually enjoying this quite a lot. :D In case I've never made it clear, I really like your take on the system. It has the simplicity...and non-miniature-dependent nature...I look for in a game.

greywulf said:
We could lose the Hazards section from the Player's section (as you've got it covered in here), and replace it with.........what?

Random encounter chart? Random dungeon generator?

Any more ideas?

Encounter chart and dungeon generator seem like something that should go on a GM page instead of in the basic rules.

If I do the one-inch margin thing, like I have with all my other pdfs (just to make 'em all look alike :] ), you might not need to add anything. Shortening the document by that one paragraph, it'd probably fit nicely into that front-and-back page using the layout I've been using for the other pdfs.

Speaking of 'other pdfs,' I've done another one, but I'm not really cool with posting it. It's a mini 'campaign setting' for Microlite20. (It's actually the one my group and I use to playtest new D&D material before adding it in to our regular Greyhawk game.) Trouble is, I use a map that I ganked off the web somewhere. It's rather heavily modified, but the base artwork isn't mine, so I don't want to publicly post the thing. If anyone is interested in it, e-mail me at rev_sims "at" yahoo "dot" com, and I'll send it to you privately.

It's nothing too special: a small map of a coastal barony with notes on geography, settlements, known dungeon locales, religions, and such. Again, if anyone's interested, e-mail me.

Well, that's it for now...

Regards,
Darrell

MeepoDM

First Post
Thanks! I was having some account log-in problems for some reason, but just got that resolved. I'll go ahead and reply as well.

greywulf

First Post
Excellent, thanks, folks. Spreading the love is always a good thing!

I'll try to find time and sit down over the next few days with my pdfs, Darrell's and any requests y'all post up here and see what I can come up with. Including CHA seems to get the popular vote, so I'll add it in. My players like spell cost = double level +1, so that goes in too.

My goal with this is to create as small and light a system as possible, while at the same time being able to use lots of d20/D&D goodness too. If peeps start taking it in new and unexpected directions as well, that's /very/ cool too.

In just a few days it's turned into being a pretty complete system in it's own right (mainly thanks to Darrell and everyone else's feedback), and that's a far better response than I'd expected. Thank you, all of you.

If you've ever seen the One Page Fantasy Skirmish rules (link to pdf), that's the kind of minimalism I'd aspire to. I'm not sure it's possible to do that /and/ be d20-compliant(-ish), but it's kinda fun trying.

I reckon we could easily put out a single page of rules covering character generation, combat and advancement, another 2 pages of Monsters, 2 of spells and a one page "Dungeon Master's Guide" including a random dungeon generator.

Oh wait, we're 99% of the way already :)

That'll make a complete d20-compatible system in just 8 pages.

Works for me!

MeepoDM

First Post
8 pages! My how it has grown. I hope the original rules - your first document - will always remain its own entity.

I'm still not 100% convinced on this Charisma thing, but its no biggy. As long as we don't start coming up with rationale for Wisdom and Constitution as well! Thats a downhill snowball eyeballin' Feats, PrC's, and full skill systems just waiting to happen! ;)

Last edited:

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
That'll make a complete d20-compatible system in just 8 pages.

Works for me!

I was just thinking...

Our eight pages covers roughly the same territory (in a trimmed-down manner, I'll grant you) as three 300+ page books...

...and the supplemental material for those books is about 95% table-ready for games played using our eight pages.

Works for me, too! :D

Regards,
Darrell

Remove ads