Middle Earth [TA 2997]: The Phantom of the Northern Marches

Inez Hull

First Post
It is the 2997th year of the Third Age in Middle Earth and the shadow stalks the land once more. The dark lord Sauron no longer masquerades as the Necromancer of Mirkwood but now rebuilds Barad-dûr whilst Orodruin burns anew. Of the smashed kingdom of Arnor only the Dúnedain of Arthedain remain, as wanderers vainly struggling to hold back the Orcs, Trolls and other fell creatures that roam out of the Misty Mountains and ancient woods of Rhudaur. The Elves are in retreat and few of that fey and wondrous folk still grace the lands of Middle Earth. The Dwarves isolate themselves from the other free peoples and have lost contact with their own folk in the deep halls of Moria. The men of Gondor see the growing threat of Sauron at their doorstep and have abandoned the beauty of Ithilien up to the enemy.

Deep in the lonely lands of Eriador’s northern marches, the village of Nothva Rhaglaw, isolated but once safe, now looks out in fear to the nearby woods which are said to be haunted, or so rumour says….

A company of bold men who still hold enough faith in the light, or hate of the shadow, journey forth from the village of Bree to investigate the rumour and see if there is aught they can do to aid these folk, or meet their fate, or find their fortune.

Five days plodding travel brings the company of four to a camp at the foot of Weathertop and a meeting with their fifth companion. Camp is made and fellows met whilst plans are made for the long journey northeast to their final destination…..

[please describe your characters and make what introductions and plans you wish]

Link to OOC Thread

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

"Welcome to the former kingdom of Arnor!" Valandil greets his newfound companions. "Hunting can be a bit sparse around here, but I caught some hares a couple days ago and have smokes some of the meat. It will carry well, what of it you lot don't eat tonight!"

Valandil is tall and somwhat gaunt. He retains some of the splendor of the ancient kings in his blood, and in his face, although he looks to have been living in the wilds for some time now. His clothes are worn and stained by the outdoors. He is unshaven, and wears his dark hair long. He wears a long sword and a short sword on his belt, and keeps his composite bow handy.

"I am Valandil. My people have lived in Arnor since the fall of Numenor. I am very interested in keeping this land free. Can you tell us more of this haunting that besets the woods near Nothva Rhaglaw, oh Arathorn?"

ferretguy

First Post
Brushing down his horse from this long days ride, Breor contemplates his new compainions...These men do seem anxious enough and ready to fight the good fight...'tis good to not be riding alone for once..
The Rohirren stands tall with his blond hair cut short to avoid being snagged from the many branches of the trees (also in combat to avoid being grabbed). His chain shirt gleams under his forest green cloak and his riding clothes have seen wear from years in the saddle. As he comes around the horse and heads to the main campfire a large grey wolf falls in beside him. One of his compainions horses starts at the sudden appearance of this predator, which Breor calms with just a glance. "Gentlemen, just to avoid unfortunate accidents, this is my friend and traveling companion, Grey. She has saved my life several times in my journies and I would be quite upset if she were to be harmed by those we chose to travel with now. And yes Arathorn, to know more of this "haunting" would definitly be to our adavantage."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Antroine sits quietly with a pipe in his mouth, the faint but not unpleasant scent of his relatively potent pipe weed lingering with the smell of the campfire.

His wavy ashen blonde hair, mostly arranged into small braids currently, does well to obscure the view of his dull grey and slightly bloodshot eyes. Despite his appearance he is a friendly fellow, carrying with him tools of a rogue's trade, a rapier of remarkable workmanship, and wearing a suit of finely made studded leather.

Originally Posted by ferretguy
"Gentlemen, just to avoid unfortunate accidents, this is my friend and traveling companion, Grey. She has saved my life several times in my journies..."

Antroine leans forward a little to get a better look at the animal, and inhales deeply from his pipe.

"She's alright by me then," he says with a smile, smoke pouring from his mouth and nostrils as though something were smouldering away inside him.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

"Antroine, you seemed to have picked up a habbit of the hobbits, that pipeweed. Have you been in these parts before? Charming folk, the hobbits. Now, as for that wolf, it is rare to see a wild animal properly trained. Where did you find her, and how did you do it?"

rangerjohn

Explorer
Arathorn is tall, with the blood of the kings in his viens. But you can see he is uncomfortable in the positon he finds himself in now. He is dressed in forest greens and browns, with a chain shirt under his cloak, a longsword at his side, and his trusted bow ready in his hands. On the trip here some you were glad of your mounts as he seemed infatiguable at all times and uncannily swift at some moments.
At the round of questions he ansewers "Little more is known, than you have already been told. It is mostly rumors and disappearances at this point. But this area has been quiet afore now, as if protected somehow. It is good to see fellow men of the blood, as well as those who are a friend of nature" he says with a smile for Grey.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Originally Posted by Manzanita
"Antroine, you seemed to have picked up a habbit of the hobbits, that pipeweed. Have you been in these parts before?

Antroine chuckles.

"Maybe, but maybe not, I haven't kept a very good track of my whereabouts throughout my travels," he says, and contines puffing away.

Last edited:

ferretguy

First Post
Now, as for that wolf, it is rare to see a wild animal properly trained. Where did you find her, and how did you do it?"

"Well, to be honest Valandil, I never trained Grey. She chose to travel with me throughout this land and over these many months it would seem that she knows my thoughts sometimes better then I know myself."
Breor reaches down and scratches behind the wolfs ears as Grey sits and eyes the food offered to the group warily.

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

"So what brought you guys all the way from the white towers of Gondor, to these lonely lands. I've never traveled that far East. I do hope to see those towers ere I die." He then holds out a bit of food towards Grey. "Nice wolf. We are both travelers on the steppes."
OOC: Animal empathy +3 for what its worth

Remove ads