Middle Earth [TA 2997]: The Phantom of the Northern Marches

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

Valandil tosses back his long black hair and gazes into the horizon. "We are not the only defenders of these ancient lands. Let us hope others intercept these orcs before they can cause much damage. Come, my fellow rangers, let us examine these tracks, though, and see if any lead in the direction of Nothva Raglaw. If so, let's follow them."

Festy_Dog

First Post
Antroine chuckles.

"Ah, back on track," he says smugly, "It's a pity we didn't catch up with a few straglers though, would have done someone somewhere some good to kill off a handfull of them."

His pipe smoke lazily curls and disappears.

Last edited:

ferretguy

First Post
Poking through the remains of the orc campsite, Breor looks the direction of Nothva Raglaw. "As much as it annoys me to let any go living another day, I would also concurr that taking the ones out along our route would be the best, so lets go 'fore they get much further."

Inez Hull

First Post
The company turns its path to the northwest, following tracks that lead in the direction of the road. However after about an hour's travel the tracks appear to double back to the northeast and the company reluctantly abandons them, moving more directly towards their destination. As night looms on the horizon you estimate that a couple of hours travel remain yet before you regain the certain guide of the old highway and a campsite for the night is quickly chosen and set.

A grimly quiet meal is taken as all of you brood on the possibility that orcs range free in the region and may well stumble across your camp. Earlier bloodlust is quelled by the knowledge that nightfall cedes the advantage to the creatures of the shadow. You all stay up later than is good for the mornings travel, before eventually the necessity for sleep sees watches allocated. Antroine offers to take the first watch alone, claiming an inability to wake if disturbed from slumber and the others grudgingly accede to him despite the fact that unencumbered rest seems unlikely for all.

In the dark quiet of the night, Valandil and Belegon are woken for their shift by a bleary eyed Antroine who shuffles away to his blanket, wraps himself and then proceeds to drift off to sleep whilst sitting staring into space. The Dunedain of north and south then settle into their watch, conversing tersely, ears straining into the night.

The night presses on inexorably and it is as the two are exchanging a murmured discussion on whether it is time for a changing of the guard that Valandil cocks his head and holds up a hand to silence his companion. Belegon strains his hearing and picks up a hint of what Valandil is now sure of as he mutters, "Orcs......", then after a pause, ".....and a Troll".

[OODM: The movement is coming from about 200' away and doesn't seem to be attempting stealth. However, it does appear to be moving in the direction of the camp.]

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

Valandil stands and wakes the others, shaking them with his gaunletted hand. "We are at a distinct disadvantage in the dark. Yet I am not inclined to try to elude them. I say we play dumb, lull them into close combat where the fire and light I can generate should even the odds. "

Festy_Dog

First Post
Antroine wakes groggily, muttering something most likely about a lady friend in his dreams.

Antroine gears up quickly and (as close as possible to) quietly. His pipe is clamped firmly in his teeth as he rubs his eyes and trys to get a bearing on the location of the orcs.

Last edited:

ferretguy

First Post
Breor shakes the cobwebs of sleep from his brain. "I would agree with you Valandil about playing dumb to lure them in and then hitting them with all we have, although it may be good if our archer takes a position outside the camp to have a small element of surprise. Also Grey could be with you for added punch." Breor gathers his equipment together for the upcoming fight. "I'll concentrate on the Orcs with Belegon, while the others focus on the Troll."

Remove ads