Middle Earth [TA 2997]: The Phantom of the Northern Marches

Festy_Dog

First Post
Originally Posted by Manzanita
"So what brought you guys all the way from the white towers of Gondor, to these lonely lands. I've never traveled that far East. I do hope to see those towers ere I die."

"They're quite a sight to see they are, you'll not regret going to see them for yourself whenever you do," Antroine says, turning to his noble friend, "I wonder if much has changed while we've been gone."

Inez Hull

First Post
Grey looks at the proferred food and then back at Breor. Sensing some unseen reassurance or permission from her friend she cautiously moves towards Valandil and sniffs at it suspiciously. After watching Valandil closely for a while she quickly moves in and snaps the food away and then trots away to eat by herself.

[OODM: Gary????]

garyh

First Post
The large man of Gondor finally spoke up. "I am Belegon. I hail from Minas Tirith, and serve for the glory of Gondor." He looked at his northern countrymen. "I imagine we of Westernesse will prove to be more alike than not on this journey."

Belegon is well-armed and well-armored, and carries himself as one used to court. Nonetheless, he seems at home in the wild as well. A powerful aura of command radiates from him, prompting the others to remain alert.

Inez Hull

First Post
The company of travellers, still more strangers than true companions, settle in for the night, sharing tales and histories. A meal is shared, the smoked meat provided by Valandil a welcome relief to preserved fare. As the night moves on the days of hard travel tell and soon there are looks towards the grudging comfort of a bedroll on bare ground. You split yourselves into watches for the night and soon the only noise is the gentle crackle of the campfire.

The night passes slowly, the great distance to Nothva Rhaglaw, strange new company and the foreboding sight of the ruined watchtower looming against the night sky all contributing to bring a muted mood to each man on his watch. Morning eventually dawns, shedding its light over the bleak, apparently lifless yet also beautiful terrain. Soon the company are all awake and a quick breakfast is prepared whilst horses are seen to and weapons and armour inspected and donned. Shortly you are all moving, following Arathorn's steady directions for a few hours until you reach the faded remains of road, now little more than an ongoing stretch of worn and depressed ground, such has nature reclaimed her ownership.

Thus begins days of steady but dull travel, ever northeast along the old highway to Nothva Rhaglaw and then the Ettenmoors and ruined Angmar beyond. There is little company on your travels, the occasional flight of birds overhead or a wild animal spotted in the distance. Several times members of your company head out hunting and foraging to supplement your travelling rations, but the pickings are slim even with Arathorn's invaluable local knowledge.

Six days into your travel from Weathertop the progress has been slow, with the majority of the company on foot and even those of you needing to slow your pace to accommodate the heavily armoured Belegon. Tensions begin to mount as some chafe at the slow pace, and more.....

As the company stops for a midday rest Arathorn, Valandil and Breor confer and then share with the two southerners a growing suspicion that they have pieced together. Signs over the past two days and increasingly so today suggest that their is Orcish activity in the area.

Festy_Dog

First Post
"I guess this'd probably be tied in with whatever we're looking for," Antroine says in reference to the observations, brushing a few braids away from his eyes to take a look around.

He puts his pipe back in his mouth, but for the time being its empty.

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

"Orcs in the vicinity may well have nothing to do with the troubles at Nothva Raglaw. There may be other reasons they would be about. Either way, my inclination is to find them and assess their strength and direction. If feasible, we might want to exterminate them."

ferretguy

First Post
"Wasting our time?....Destroying these Foul Things Will never be a waste of time to me! Exterimating any vermin like these will no doubt aid this area of the country." Breors' hands carress the hilts of his swords, seeming barely able to control his voice from raising. His body tensed, and then with a slow expulsion of air, he regains control of his emotions. "Sorry, I definitly feel seeking these orcs would also be a good thing, perhaps leading to an explanation of these strange occurances in this nearby forest."

garyh

First Post
"I agree with Breor," Belegon said. "These orcs a danger to this land, and to allow them to continue about heir foul business - whatever it may be - would be wrong."

Inez Hull

First Post
The company decides that investigating the presence of orcs is a worthwhile distraction from their destination. Shortly, the combined woodslore of Valandil, Breor and Arathorn turns up humanoid tracks, which the three agree are likely orcish.....

.....and so you set out, following the spoor of the orcs to the east for several hours through the barren wilds. However, the hunting is poor and no prey is found. Some small consolation is the discovery as the afternoon wanes of an abandoned campsite against the edge of a copse of old woods. It appears that somewhere between ten and twenty orcs were encamped here but have been gone at least two days. The trail that led here departs in several directions and the tracks will be more difficult to follow.

You gather together to decide where your path will take you now.

Remove ads