Middle Earth [TA 2997]: The Phantom of the Northern Marches

Inez Hull

First Post
Antroine sheaths his sword sparing his flesh any further pain and as the ghost lights continue to just sit and twinkle, Breor decides it is safe to shrug off his chain shirt and sits by the fire rubbing at his frostbitten chest. The party gather and watch the lights, but they continue to just ebb from blue to green until they soon flash out and do not reappear.

ferretguy

First Post
"So far we have been just following his lights, if I was trying to trick hunters from locating me, and had the means to do so, I would lead them in as many goose chases as possible to frustrate them 'till they gave up. We need some to think about where we are, where lights appeared,directions they made us follow, and then confine our search in the areas we are being lead away from." Breor shakes his head "Damnit, Several of us are hunters...we should be able to do this!"

rangerjohn

Explorer
"Well in that case, I would suggest the first valley we camped. First we were warned off with a stamped. Then we were lead on a wild goose chase from there. Its actions since then have simply been moments of oppurtunity.

So I suggest we return to the valley, in daylight, and conduct a full search. Any other suggestions?" Ansewers Arathorn, after taking a moment to anlalyze the situation.

Mirth

Explorer
rangerjohn said:
"Any other suggestions?" Answers Arathorn, after taking a moment to anlalyze the situation.

"What about that bird you were talking to?" Artos says, stepping out of the darkness and finally rejoining his companions around the firelight. "Sorry about my abrupt departure before, I don't know what came over me, but it wasn't my choice to leave. As I ran off though, I caught sight of a raven making some strange movements. Was it just me, or did it look like it was casting a spell?"

Manzanita

First Post
Valandil

"Hmmm... Could the bird have cast a spell? It's strange appearence did seem to coincide with the unseemly fear that Artos experienced. And earlier, the phantom seemed to have taken the form of a stag. Perhaps we are dealing with a shapeshifter here, one that can perhaps only take the form of animals."

"Let's also consider what it has done. It has controlled elk, created moving lights, caused a landslide by stacking and pushing rocks, caused fear, and caused great cold. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Not to me, I fear."

Festy_Dog

First Post
"Well next time I see a suspicious animal, I'll make sure to kill it," Antroine says, carefully checking the temperature of his rapier.

Inez Hull

First Post
Antroine's rapier has returned to its normal temperature as has Breor's armour. Comparing notes you realise that only Artos, Breor and Antroine were effected by the cold, Arathorn and Valandil were not in the campsite when it came on and seem to have been too far from its source. Furthermore, although the air around the three did get cold, the intensity seemed to radiate from all the metal items in your possesion, the shaggy Artos managing to shake off the cold from his few metal items.

Although the cold and the ghost lights have now faded away, the bank of thick fog to the west still remains, encroaching from where the two Dunedain were hidden to the fringes of the campsite, blocking all visibilty.

As you stand about debating your next course of action, you are all surprised by a loud hiss from the west as you turn to see a large ball of flame emerge from the midst of the fog, rolling like a large burning tumbleweed through the undergrowth and towards the party.

Mirth

Explorer
Artos moves faster than he should be able to, trying to evade the flaming ball. As soon as he is (hopefully) safe, he looks about intently for any kind of strange animal.

Remove ads