Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 1, The Charge

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela rests a tiny hand on Valurel's strong shoulder, a soft smile on her face. "My companions and I are a bit on edge, old one." She turns to face him. "Please forgive our hostility."

"We found the stone deep in the caves. The entrance was at the ancestor mound outside Caft, and we ran from there. There was a wide cavern where we rested. That sword was there." She motions to Starhl's new weapon. "There were many markings down there. I cannot make sense of them, though. Perhaps if you were to look?"

Hrothgar

First Post
Caft!? So far, so far... The old man gazes at Kaela, his mind working over the implications of her words. I never thought...yes! Of course! Woodsman, let me see that sword. Fallax seems to have lost his fear of Valurel, moving past him to gaze at the sword in Starhl's powerful grip. Ah, yes. These runes are Norther. Yes! I knew it! The old man squeals in delight, leaping and laughing about the cave before returning to Starhl's side. Thank you, Woodsman. You have put the pieces of the puzzle together for me! Do you know what you hold in your hand? Faith, my sinewy friend. Faith! The name of the sword wielded by Bjorn the Tall of the Alard Clan of House Sedrig. Bjorn was last seen during the last war against the Shadow. Tales tell he prophesized the return of Aryth's goddess. A goddess who would break the grip of Shadow. Fallax looks incredulously at the Heroes. He disappeared during the war. Many thought he was just a myth. A legend. A lie spread by the hopeless to give hope in a world of Shadow. Bjorn's Faith is the name of the sword. A mighty weapon indeed. Supposedly blessed by a goddess. Fallax raises an eyebrow to see if anyone doubts the veracity of his claims. With your discovery, by dumb luck no doubt, you have found the evidence that I have searched for so long to support these. Fallax waves his hand at the artifacts around him. The Elthedar that once built their civilization here are long gone, but the writing of that lost race remain. I have not been able to decipher fully the meaning of their script, but I believe this area was a place of worship. To one of the Lost Gods. Could this place still contain the essence of a being with the power of the Shadow, but the purity of light? Fallax looks at Starhl's sword. I can only wonder. And that stone you carry, girl. The runic tree. Looks at these artifacts. Covered in that same design. A meaning of import, I think.

Krug

Newshound
After heaing what the old man has said, Starhl lifts up the blade. "With blade we can turn back shadow. Faith." He roars in mad laughter.

Micar Sin

First Post
Morn smiled grimly at the group in front of him and slipped his blade back into its sheath. "I am Morn, or the Whisperer as Fallax has apparently decided to call me. The sword may be divine providence or dumb luck, but orcs are still scouring the country side. Eventually they will find the other entrance to these caves. I would suggest that we not be present when they do.

Hrothgar

First Post
Fallax freezes at Morn's words, shaking hands covering his mouth and beard. Orcs? How many? Where are they now? They musn't find me! Do you know what the legates would do to me if they found a renegade scholar hidden in this forsaken land?

Valurel watches as Fallax moves past him to look closer at the sword. He lets the old man pass unhindered, content to watch him for now. When Morn and Fallax mention Orcs, he answers, "Too many Orcs, nearly killed us all." He sniffs the air again, trying to detect any sign of the Orcs approaching their current location.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela can't help but feel a little uncomfortable at the revelation about the sword. We are no heroes, fit to wield such a weapon. We seek only to flee, not fight. Aislinn's safety is all that matters. She keeps her doubts inside, though, nodding appreciatively in response to the information.

"While the Orcs and Legates seek us, you need not fear them looking for you, wise one. If you stay as you were, hidden deep in the caverns, I expect things will go the way they have for years. The Orcs may come close, but I think right now they have bigger prey to chase." She sighs deeply. "Right now, I just want to find a safe haven from the Shadow. We need to move. The longer we tarry, the closer the Orcs come to finding this place." Her eyes rest on Starhl, looking over his resolute countenance and Faith. "While I have no doubt you will fight with bravery, we cannot fight the numbers that the Shadow would bring down on us in a direct manner. This is a time for fleet movement, not strong arms."

She extends a smile to the newcomer. "Morn. We would appreciate your blade, if you would accompany us. Would that be okay with you, Aislinn?"

Hrothgar

First Post
Valurel tests the air. Other than the odiferous Fallax, the pungent scent of pine and wet earth do not carry the taint of orc.

Fallax looks at Kaela, his deep, dark eyes pleading. Your group is well-armed, strong enough to run and fight, if necessary. I am an old man. Please take me with you. His hand sweeps across the stone artifacts along the wall. I have extracted all the information I can from these. There is nothing more for me here, especially if orcs are searching for your group. Fallax's gaze finally rests on Aislinn. The old man frowns. She does not have the look of the rest of you. Innocent. What is her story?

Aislinn stands closer to Kaela and behind Valurel, obviously uncomfortable in the old man's gaze. I have seen the goddess of which you speak. Fallax stares at her in a daze, his mind not comprehending what he has just heard.

Valurel remains crouched between Fallax and his two female companions. He remains silent on the old man's request to join the group of refugees, waiting to see if Fallax was going to recover his wits enough to speak with Aislinn about her "goddess".

Micar Sin

First Post
"I have no home of my own and those who oppose The Shadow are welcome companions..." Morns eyes flashed coldly as his voice dropped to a flat growl... "But Fallax must accompany us. No one living will be left to orcish mercy"

Remove ads