Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Chapter 1, The Charge

Bobitron

Explorer
Kaela looks nervously at Reznick, concerned aout adding the old man to the group. She understands Morn's words, however, and is certain the guilt of leaving the man behind would haunt her if she declined him.

elapse

First Post
Faith and Hope

Reznik
Reznik sighs deeply while looking at Kaela, and ever so slightly shakes his head. He looks to his companions as a whole and says, "I care not who keeps company, but I do not wish to stay here as the orcs will be on our trail soon. Valurel, Starhl, can you get us on our old path?"

Hrothgar

First Post
Fallax continues to stare at Aislinn, disbelief in his eyes. Slowly his eyes look at each of you in turn, his voice subdued. She is why the orcs pursue you. He says as a statement, not a question. And legates command the orcs. This would attract only the most powerful legates. Yes...yes, we should leave. Now. Fallax looks back at his precious artifacts before looking at Bjorn's Faith and Aislinn. There is nothing for me here now. Take me where you will and I will be of what service I can. What are your plans?

Bobitron

Explorer
"Lead on, Starhl. We shall speak as we move." There is strength in Kaela's voice that wasn't there just a few moments ago. "Reznik, you had mentioned Highwall. Do you still consider that the best path to take?"

At the mention of Highwall, Valurel's eyes narrow. He has no fondness for towns and cities as they are largely occupied by Orcs and other forces of the Shadow. Only pain and sorrow would be found in such a place. He wasn't sure he wanted to go anywhere near Highwall, or any other occupied city. "Why there?" he asks. "Only more enemies there." He is prepared to go wherever he must with his newfound friends but would like to here the reasons for such a choice.

elapse

First Post
To infintiy, and beyond.

Reznik
The Erenlander swallowed hard, fighting to wet his throat so he could speak. "Highwall would have allies, however few, willing to hide us within the folds of the resistance", he croaked in his gravely voice. He paused for a few moments while the companions walked and then continued, "I have little reason to believe that the orc host would expect a pack of refugees to travel for Highwall. I assumed they would scour the countryside for us. Believing that we would succumb to the elements or hide in a cave."

He let the last part sit with them for a few paces and said, "It is obvious that Aislinn is valuable to the agents of the Shadow, and will stand as a beacon of hope to those who seek an end to Izrador. That being said, I cannot promise that any allies of mine will provide equal aid, to you or myself, when they realize the gravity of the situation. That shouldn't make any of our situation worse than it already is, but if they only have the ability to smuggle a few of us to safety do not be suprised."

Krug

Newshound
"Move quick. Tell Starhl where to go, he will go," says the Barbarian, hefting his sword, eager to get a chance to try it out.

Micar Sin

First Post
Morn shifted uneasily as he remembered his fathers words the cities are all corrupt...They were corrupt before the Shadow came, and he just took it for his own...better to flee to the wilds and take your chances with the beasts... Morn shook his head angrily and muttered to himself "And what did fleeing avail us father? I will run no more..."
'I have avoided the cities for many years now, so I cannot offer any advice on that path. But I can guide us through the wilderness there...."

Hrothgar

First Post
Fallax looks the Heroes up and down. Well, you can't expect to leave for Highwall in your current state. Come down the hill, I have some food... Fallax glances at Starhl, ...problably not enough., he whispers under breath.

The descent is steep and treacherous with the slick stone and wet pine needles. Aislinn leans on Reznik, Kaela, and Starhl for help, but does not complain despite the bruises and scrapes she endures. The light rain falling from above is cold, but refreshing, a welcome break from the narrow confines of the cave above.

Fallax's home is much like the cave above, although it narrows to a think crack within twenty feet of the cave's exterior. A pile of smudged robes and canvas marks Fallax's bed. Scrounging in the corner of the cave, Fallax pulls back a round stone, revealing a large hole in the stone cave floor. Reaching in, Fallax pulls out a canvas bag and some flat, crumbling bread. Pine cone seeds and some acorn bread. I've been able harvest the acorns from the oaks on the other side of this copse, mix in blackberries, and bake it on hot stones. Pretty nourishing. Fallax takes a bit and grimaces. Too bad I have been unable to leach the acids from the acorns. Fallax stands and gropes near the cave edge, pulling in a broken pot filled with rain water. Water to wash it down. Hee hee.

Aislinn sits silently, taking small bites of the bread. What thoughts pass through her mind? The death of her parents. The destruction of Caft. Caught on a wave that threatens to carry her from her homeland and dash her on the shores of Shadow. Woodsman? Erunsil? Aislinn says softly to Starhl and Valurel. You do not complain, but I sense your pain. Here. Her small hands are warm as they touch the mighty Dorn and the ghost-like Valurel. Her touch soothes and heals, stitching wounds and mending broken bodies.

OOC: Starhl and Valurel both regain 8 hp of damage. Jon Rane can too, if he is still around.

So, the plans are to make for Highwall? Remember, the Heroes have just finished trekking through the underground for who knows how long without food or water. They are on the verge of Fatigue at this point.

Starhl, Reznik, Kaela, Valurel, and Jon can all advance to 2nd level. Please make the necessary corrections in the Rogue's Gallery.

Story Experience Points:
1. Successfully fleeing from Caft with Aislinn.
2. Killing Lorne, the Bastard of Caft.
3. Killing Melian, Aislinn's Fell mother.
4. Fending off the orcs in the ancestor ring.
5. Recovering Bjorn's Faith and Kaela's green stone.
6. Learning of the so-called goddess and the potential Hope that exists in Eredane.

Remove ads