• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mike Mearls interview - states that they may be getting off of the 2 AP/year train.

Satyrn

First Post
Is Starfinder from Paizo going to scratch that itch?
No, Starfinder would not scratch my itch. Indeed, it would rather cause me to break out into super itchy hives all over my body, as I've grown highly allergic to the rules bloat of 3rd edition that Pathfinder doubled (nay! Quadrupled!) down on.

Gadget

Adventurer
Does anyone know why the short-form printed adventure died?

IIRC, it is because they are not profitable in today's market reality. No matter how cheap the paper, how skimpy the binding (within reason, there are standards), the margins are just far too thin for what you have to put into it to produce it. Unless you are designing a product to be a loss leader, like say--a starter set--it just does not seem to be worth it. This is why the 'Adventure Path' format, pioneered by Paizo in Dragon Magazine and later their own products, became so popular. Now, I do not work in the publishing industry and there may be some innovative way around those issues, but that has been the line touted by many in the industry since at least 3e.

bmfrosty

Explorer
I would subscribe to dungeon magazine.

2-3 dungeons and a smattering of DM options and advice each month would be nice.

EDIT 1: Having said that, I looked at the price of the Paizo APs, and they look like $25 a book, once a month. I don't think I'd do $25 an issue once a month.

EDIT 2: If it's $25 four times a year, $50 twice a year is much the same, just not broken into chunks, which is what WotC is doing anyway. In a nice hardbound book. (plus a 3rd book that's not adventures for another $50).

Last edited:

Irda Ranger

First Post
Good. I've bough the Core 3, Volo's Guide, and plan on buying SCAG at some point. The only AP I've bought is Curse of Strahd and I have no interest in any of the others. I don't want "campaigns in a box". I like making my own campaigns, but I also like having dungeons and adventures to drop into them. More like the B Series than PotA.

A return to Dungeon Magazine would be fantastic. Leverage the DM's Guild by putting a professional edit and rules audit on the stuff that's resonating with players. A DM's Guild adventure with Mike Mearls' stamp of approval will sell. Make sure the PDFs are easy on the toner when printing at home or the local copy shop. I'd subscribe the heck out of that.

Is Starfinder from Paizo going to scratch that itch? Or is it 5e D&D in space that's required?
I doubt it. Spelljammer is fantasy in space. Starfinder is science fantasy.

Also I still wonder how long Paizo is going to hold out before they update some of their old APs for 5e OGL - if the 5e market is as huge as people are saying then it seems silly for them to not try to take some of that share?
I've wondered about that. It should be easy to reprint and convert or just publish PDF conversion documents. Or even do a 5e version of their monsters or their campaign setting. Perhaps a system neutral reprint of their campaign setting.
I think Paizo wants to do their own thing. They've been a 1st party publisher for so long I think it feels like going backward to become a 3rd party publisher again. Plus, I don't think they want to encourage anyone to convert from PF to 5e and potentially lose fans.
There's likely also some pride. They used to be the #1 RPG company and now they're #2 again. And increasingly a distant #2.

If Starfinder isn't a massive hit that is able to help sustain the company, they might have to go with a Pathfinder Revised or bite the bullet and release content for 5e.

Huh. Guess their advertising to fill at least one of those positions on Wizards.com is a fluke, then. ;) That's sarcastic, but it's true: There's a store rep job open now in Germany.
If it's a WotC store rep job the guaranteed it's about Magic.
90% of Wizards of the Coast's employees are focused on MtG, which brings in a ridiculous amount of money and sells at far more stores than D&D.
That does need reps, not only discussing future products and sales but also tournaments and weekly events. But I imagine it's done over the phone.

Not at the stores I've been to in the past two years. They've got plenty of configurable shelf space, as well as the human assets to rearrange product. It requires the stores to not deliberately screw up their feng shui, and instead learn how to actually conduct a retail store instead of a tarted-up spot where they can play Warcraft. Especially if they also sell comics!

What you've got there is a lame excuse, not a reason. That's not to say stores won't use it. But that's what it is. :)
The catch is, D&D is often vestigial to these stores. They're about board games or card games or comics with RPGs on the side. D&D is shelved wherever they have space, tucked away in a corner or off to the side.
It's an outright bad business decision to rearrange the shelf to sell D&D, because that's not what keeps the business afloat. It's not what the store actually sells.

It'd be nice for us gamers for them to have fancy front facing D&D displays, free organized play space, dice, and the like. But it'd also be nice for them to match Amazon prices. While I'm dreaming I'd also like a unicorn-pony that poops diamonds.
(Also, many game stores are run by people who are gamers first and small business owners second. A large percentage are not run well.)

Of course they have no control over the stores. No manufacturer does. It's always gambling sales. That's why you fight for prime shelf space, with shelf-talkers, end-cap space, and all that. Hasbro knows all about it.
Hasbro is also different company.
Hasbro owns WotC and collects the profits, but WotC runs itself on a day-to-day basis. If Hasbro wanted to micromanage WotC they'd have amalgamated it and made it a division of Hasbro rather than keep it as a subsidiary with its own management and CEO.

I never said there wasn't. I said there are no Wizards-generated modules like Ye Olde Tymes.
The funny thing is, the Ye Olde Tymey modules were likely made that way due to the limitations of small publishing back in the '80s. Gygax probably would have loved to go glossy pages with richer blacks or even full colour. Maybe larger adventures. He leapt at the chance to go big with the Temple of Elemental Evil.

The old adventures were limited by the budgets and printing technologies of the time. The cheap production values have a benefit in that you could write on the books without feeling bad, or pull apart the books. But that was a side effect not the intent, and they still *looked* cheap.
Lacking the associated nostalgia, I'm not sure many modern gamers would want a cheap little game book that looks like it was done print-on-demand or hammered out at the local Kinko's. Paying $10 for 32-pages of adventure is steep when you can probably get twice as much adventure of similar quality from the Guild and then fire off a print copy on your home printer.
After all, I can get a 96-page perfect bound black-and-white book from Lulu.com for $6 plus S+H. And it will look better than anything from TSR.

If WotC does get back to small modules, it'd probably be best done via DriveThru's print-on-demand service.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
He says they are not doing the two new stories a year thing. Thats my take. Implies they might still do one.

Says that there will be Yawning Portal sequel if sales are good (and its seems like they already have an idea of the content). TotYP is having, by far, the strongest debut on Amazon of any of the adventures, so I think we will see a sequel.

Teases about non-FR stuff. They have done a lot of this sort of teasing before, and of course some of the adventures and certainly the core books give a nod to the D&D multiverse. But you never know.

darjr

I crit!
Some of those APs are also exactly great as a collection of mods for your own campaigns. There are folks doing a giant FR sandbox with the books as collections of mods for said sandbox. Mods and locations and NPCs and setting material. Even if you never do any of the story in them they are a wealth of gaming material. It's THE reason I buy them. If they were only good for the AP I wouldn't.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
I bought Tales of the Yawning portal on amazon for 24 dollars. For 24 dollars i have no issue is a hardback and the adventures are mostly good. Now i dont think ill buy any other compilation. Most of them already have conversion guides in the dmsguild. I might be in the minority but I rather have new adventures than converted ones.

edit: spelling errors

Remove ads