Mike Mearls: Random Tables

I've always been a fan of random tables (it's why I had the OGRE generator built for EN World, allowing folks to create their own automated random generators and tables). Mike Mearls of WotC talks about random tables in his column this week. This was material he originally presented at a convention panel in 2006. In this article, he presents tables ofr combat colour, and for denizens and employees of a gaming parlor.

I've always been a fan of random tables (it's why I had the OGRE generator built for EN World, allowing folks to create their own automated random generators and tables). Mike Mearls of WotC talks about random tables in his column this week. This was material he originally presented at a convention panel in 2006. In this article, he presents tables ofr combat colour, and for denizens and employees of a gaming parlor.

The article is here. And here are a few of my own favourite random tables:

• Mundane treasure generator -- Mundane (non-magical) treasure: trade goods, objects d'art, etc. Whether your treasure hoard contains a new-looking copper figurine depicting the ship The Lady of Berpool, a big steel bracelet with a cuddly dragon motif, a flawless ebony needle, or a shabby copy of Archbishop Copperbane the Trifold's Planar Encyclopedia of Numinous Alchemy, you'll be sure to find a wide variety of non-magical trinkets and items!
  • Tavern Creator -- Generate a detailed tavern - including its name, quality, size, and owner, plus varied drinks and food menus, patrons, current events, lodgings, and local rumours. A complete tavern in under 2 seconds!
  • Sci-fi corporation generator -- Create a quick sci-fi corporation, along with a few details about their business. Useful for any sci-fi RPG.

Serrrg

First Post
It's been in place for nearly two years!

Maybe there is a possibility of a kickstarter of sorts..? I am sure that it would be insta-successful! It is a much needed app, in my opinion! I would code it by myself, if I would only know how to code :.-(

HobbitFan

Explorer
I like the content. I don't really care for the fact that its rehashed from a presentation.
That sort of thing gives the wrong impression.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I love random treasure tables, especially when they're used *at* the table. Obviously you need to be concerned about the game grinding to a halt, but there's an irresistible excitement generated when the party kills a dangerous foe and the DM cranks open the random treasure table. For players and DM's alike, you just never know what might fall out of those rolls.

Jhaelen

First Post
I like random tables, but only when preparing for a session, never during a session. When used for prep, they can help to get your creative juices flowing. I'm just using the results as an inspiration and decide which results I use, which I don't use and if/how I'm going to modify them to better fit within the session framework I've decided on.

During a session, I find them too, well, random. There's often results that make absolutely no sense, and if you keep rerolling everything several times, it starts to slow down your game too much.

Remove ads

Remove ads