• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mindsight Blinded?

Cavall

First Post
Stayed ranged in combat at all times. Never go near the character. See how long you can keep that up.

Its still a better suggestion than stating "change your alignment" at will. What with the whole concept of your character being to convince them to commit an evil act and all.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
It might be very hard to stay out of range of it, depending on the source of telepathy, since that determines the range of Mindsight. For example, the Mindbender's telepathy (most common pathway towards getting mindsight) has a 100 ft range...

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
;I can think of a few ways that could potentially help, but nothing available around your level. You're not going to be in any position to have nondetection or mind blank running. An amulet of proof against detection and location is probably way out of your wealth range.

Your only real chance is to throw yourself on your DM's mercy, and hope he sympathizes with your plot. He could create a specialized magic item that masks your creature type and is cheap enough for you to have. However, caution is indicated, because other players tend to get upset when a DM takes sides.

Cavall

First Post
Of course, an even simpler way would be to find a race of outsiders and claim that one as your race, if it comes up at all. Perferably a good race.

Just say you did it for the racials.

Jack Simth

First Post
Alrightythen, here is the situation.

In the campaign I am playing in, I am a lvl 4 Incubus (using the savage species progression) and a lvl 1 marshal with the motivate charisma aura. This character is hoping to eventually trick/coerce the other players into willingly participating in an Extract Gift spell (Fiendish Codex I, p.93).

Unfourtunatly, a party member will soon be gaining mindsight, which will reveal my outsider nature. Is there any way to block this? Otherwise, this party member will not make any sort of deal (personal bad history with dark cults)
Potentially, Telepathy Block (book of Exalted Deeds... but it's not an Exalted spell) could do it, but it *technically* doesn't so much stop Telepathy as prevent telepathic communication - it may or may not stop Mindsight (which requires telepathy) from functioning. Likely moot, as at the levels you're looking at, it's kinda out-of-reach. And it's only 1 round/level.

The Hellbreaker PrC (Fiendish Codex II) gets Psychic Static at 1st, which actually suppresses telepathy - which technically means he loses the prerequisite for Mindsight, and so can't use the feat at all - If you're within 20 feet of him.

A good real-life Bluff check on your DM could convince him that Misdirection does the job.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Of course, an even simpler way would be to find a race of outsiders and claim that one as your race, if it comes up at all. Perferably a good race.
I'll agree with this, especially at the level in question. I don't believe Mindsight does more than indicate type (and intelligence); other qualities like alignment, subtype, etc, aren't revealed. So just pretend to be an outsider that the party would be less suspicious of-- a ghaele or janni, for example. If they're still suspicious, well, make sure you have a good story and lots of ranks in Bluff.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Can I change my answer? I like this one better. :)

When your party member turns mindsight on and accuses you of being an outsider, you just say, "Right, I'm an Aasimar. I thought you knew that already."

Well, I think it might be in reach, and I hope I'm not too late.
If you get a small humanoid or animal/creature. Maybe use shrink person or something. If they are the same space as you, he will detect two creatures in your square, one of each type. Just a little question, is your DM planning on answering his question of What type/int is that creature? or is he going to spell it out for everthing in range. I doubt that he'd use mindsight to check his companions. So capture a halfling and use shrink person, they'd probably fit in your cloak...maybe.

Good luck :cool:

Remove ads