Miniatures for a Star Trek game?

Stormonu

Legend
Ah, now you're hitting my territory. Micro Machines are definitely the best. There are also some Japanese Star Trek minis (Furuta) that have come out in the past few years (about the same scale) that aren't too bad to pick up on E-bay - though they're getting more expensive as time goes on. Also, gamescience has a few of the basic models that you might be able to pick up on the cheap.

There's also the new heroclix ships (I'd go for the Starship Captains box set instead of the random boxed minis), and of course, papercraft versions.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, now you're hitting my territory. Micro Machines are definitely the best. There are also some Japanese Star Trek minis (Furuta) that have come out in the past few years (about the same scale) that aren't too bad to pick up on E-bay - though they're getting more expensive as time goes on. Also, gamescience has a few of the basic models that you might be able to pick up on the cheap.

My main issue seems to be consistent base types. What I prefer is hex bases to match the hex map, but I'm seeing round bases, and teardrop-shaped bases, and more. Not to mention those enormous Heroclix bases!

Are the bases all interchangeable if I were to locate a large lot of hex bases?

CarlZog

Explorer
I'll second Victory Force Miniatures and the David Okum paper ones. Great stuff.
006601logo.jpg
samples.jpg

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
My main issue seems to be consistent base types. What I prefer is hex bases to match the hex map, but I'm seeing round bases, and teardrop-shaped bases, and more. Not to mention those enormous Heroclix bases!

Are the bases all interchangeable if I were to locate a large lot of hex bases?

For the most part; I've gotten some of the micro machine minis at least to stay on FASA hex bases. In most cases, if the fit isn't perfect a little bit of putty (say Testor's), will make the fit snug - or a dremel tool if you need to make it a bit bigger.

On the heroclix ships, those things are SUPER-glued to the ships - you'd have to snap them off and redrill the hole to switch to hex bases (unless someone knows a trick). But looking at the minis, I'd swear they came from micro machine molds.

And of course, there's always Star Fleet minis from mongoose.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For the most part; I've gotten some of the micro machine minis at least to stay on FASA hex bases. In most cases, if the fit isn't perfect a little bit of putty (say Testor's), will make the fit snug - or a dremel tool if you need to make it a bit bigger.

On the heroclix ships, those things are SUPER-glued to the ships - you'd have to snap them off and redrill the hole to switch to hex bases (unless someone knows a trick). But looking at the minis, I'd swear they came from micro machine molds.

And of course, there's always Star Fleet minis from mongoose.

Those ones have round bases. Grrrrr!

So three of my purchases form eBay arrived today. A Klingon D-7 and a base/outpost on teardrop bases, and three Monarch class freighters on hex bases. I don't have OCD, but this is vexing me already!

Remove ads