Miniatures for a Star Trek game?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I picked up four of these to use for a space game at some future date. I plan to take them to the Teacher Store to have them laminated at some point. The cost for shipping Internationally might make it less of a bargain.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy7qjs?Star-Wars-Gamer-Starscape-Hex-Grid-Poster-Map

I have a dozen or so of those (possibly not the exact same ones). They're pretty great!

Ven better, though, I have this gorgeous fabric one about the size of a double bed. Never had chance to use it -- yet!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My fleet expands!

BDjKPprCEAAOEBu.jpg

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I have a dozen or so of those (possibly not the exact same ones). They're pretty great!

Ven better, though, I have this gorgeous fabric one about the size of a double bed. Never had chance to use it -- yet!

Does the fabric have hexes? I'm all good with using rulers but fabric with hexes would be a plus.

I've got a stack of 6 1/2 x 12 foot felt fabric lengths in various shades for wargaming different scenarios. They run off a 4 x 8 table but our FLGS has a couple of 6 x 10 minis tables which they cover great. Black, blue for ocean, tan for desert, dark green for heavy forest, light green for plains, and even a white one for winter combat: I just collected them over time whenever they had a deep discount sale going on the felt and I could snag one or two for five or six bucks each. I also kept an eye on their discount (non-felt) fabric bin and sometimes saw something I would get, like this cool jungle pattern and another that made me think of some sort of Hell layer or fire plane. But I mention all this because one of them actually had a hex pattern, I think two inches each, so I grabbed that too. I'll have to dig it out and snap a pic.

Mark, what size are the hexes on that map?

1 1/2 inches. And note that the hexes don't "bleed" off the edges, so butting them up to one another doesn't make for a seamless star field. I'll try to get some pics later.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Does the fabric have hexes? I'm all good with using rulers but fabric with hexes would be a plus.

Of course! Otherwise it's just a black sheet!

It has 1" hexes on one side and 1.5" on the other side. Plus a starscape background. It's quite gorgeous. And quite enormous!

CarlZog

Explorer
Another alternative to fabric is vinyl banners like the kind used for billboards. These have become very cheap; they're very durable, and you can have them printed with any image you want -- such as a star field with a hex overlay!

The owner of my FLGS had an astronomy photo of a nebula printed on a banner to use as a board for the shop's X-Wing game demos. Looked great!

crazy_cat

Adventurer
I bit the bullet and placed an order with Victory Force - ordered six different packs and pleasantly surprised that they arrived US to UK in ten days (and made it past HMRC without being hit for VAT on import which is a nice bonus and makes them much more affordable!).

First impressions - very nice minis, all scaled to 28mm and stand up nicely in size alongside other SF ranges (Heresy, Hasselfree, Mantic, and EM4 all look OK with them on a quick view so far), and clean sculps so not much prep requried. All came with round standard 28mm slotted bases.

I'd definitely recommend them and will be ordering some more. The standard range could nicely do TOS or TNG period depending on how you paint them and the AU range (of which I only ordered one pack to see how they looked) could do senior ranks/dress uniforms or a more militant Star Fleet, or at a pinch aliens (or at least non SF humans) if painted differently.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
FASA had tons of StarFleetBattles miniatures. Heck, my local hobby shop had fleet box sets. Shouldn't be too hard to find. A little paint and super-glue and you are all set.

nerfherder

Explorer
FASA had tons of StarFleetBattles miniatures. Heck, my local hobby shop had fleet box sets. Shouldn't be too hard to find. A little paint and super-glue and you are all set.

Mongoose and ADB have subsequently released updated models, so they should be easy to find in shops - plus you often find people selling them 2nd hand on Mongoose forums.

Remove ads