• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Mixing 3.0 and 3.5

Allensh

Explorer
I own the core books for both 3.0 and 3.5. I own all of the class splatbooks for 3.0 and none of the 3.5 supplements at all other than Lords of Darkness. I am considering embarking on a campaign using the original Adventure Path that Wizards published. Are there major issues involved in mixing 3.0 and 3.5? Will this cause me problems at some point, aside from having to rename some skills and the like?

Allen

Rhun

First Post
I don't think it is an issue at all. I've been combining 3.0 and 3.5 for a long time now. I've never had any problems doing this.

hanniball

First Post
Converting Damage Reduction has always been a pain for me. I have heard of a conversion chart somewhere, but have been unable to locate it.

As for Oriental Adventures in 3.5, just remember the update to the relationship between Monk unarmed attack progression and BAB. Other than that there shouldn't be any problems.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Cutty Sark

First Post
It shouldn't be a problem. I ran an adventure path using 3.0 rules with the 3.5 versions of classes and the complete books (sort of the inverse of your situation) and it worked well. I was able to eyeball the little stuff as it came along. I did spend extra prep time on most of the big encounters, tweaking differences in monsters mostly. Like hanniball said, DR was something to watch out for.

Li Shenron

Legend
I don't even think that you need converting DR. Just keep whatever DR a creature has. If it's 3.0 style like 20/+3 then you still need a +3 weapon to bypass it; if it's 3.5 style like 5/magic and cold iron, you need a +1 cold iron.

Not even skills are a problem. If a character has a 3.0 skill that was merged with another, he still has it as a separate (just make DC lower for a more specialized skill). So if someone has Read Lips and Spot at the same time, she could use both to actually read lips, but because the Read Lips is more specialized it should be easier to succeed. There's nothing in the rules that says all skills must be completely separate.

Remove ads