• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MMMM: Horned Cyclops

Geocorona

First Post
Horned Cyclops
Huge Giant
Hit Dice: 10d8+60 (105 hp)
Initiative: -2 (-2 Dex)
Speed: 40 ft., climb 10 ft.
AC: lower 17 (-2 size, -2 Dex, +11 natural), upper 13 (+7 natural)
Attacks: 2 Claws +14 melee and Gore +9 melee; or Club +14 melee and Gore +9 melee; or 1-2 Boulders +15 melee
Damage: Claw 2d4+9, Gore 2d6+4; Club 2d8+9; Boulder (see below)
Face/Reach: 10x10 ft./15 ft. (tall)
Special Attacks: Rock throwing
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/+1, darkvision 30 ft., rock catching
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 7, Con 22, Int 5, Wis 9, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +18, Hide -4, Jump +10, Listen +3, Spot +0
Feats: Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Sunder

Climate/Terrain: Temperate or tropical coastal cliffs & mountains
Organization: Solitary, family (2-4)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Often chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class (barbarian, commoner or warrior)

Horned cyclopes have a rudimentary spoken language. These creatures are distantly related to other giants, and do not share their territory; nor do they share territory with their less-bestial cyclops relatives.

The horned cyclops can handle most foes with its three-clawed hands and goring head-butt; but it may also wield a large tree trunk as a club, or throw available boulders.

Combat

A horned cyclops has a satyr-like lower body with dense hair and cloven hooves. The upper body has less natural armor protection, but can usually only be reached with ranged weapons from medium-sized and smaller attackers. For simplification, the DM can elect to treat the AC as 15 for its entire body. Normal weapons barely penetrate below the thick skin, and even an embedded spear might never reach the flesh beneath, giving the horned cyclops a DR of 5/+1.

Darkvision (Ex): Horned cyclopes have the ability to see without any light source, but only within a 30 ft. range.

Rock Throwing (Ex): Adult horned cyclopes are accomplished rock throwers and receive a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls when throwing rocks. A horned cyclops can hurl boulders of 90 to 120 lbs (Large objects) for 120 ft and 2d8+9 damage, boulders of 60 to 80 lbs (Medium-size objects) for 240 ft and 2d6+9 damage, 2 rocks of 40 to 50 lbs (Small objects) for 360 ft and 1d8+9 damage, or 2 rocks of 20 to 30 lbs (Tiny objects) for 480 ft and 1d6+9 damage.

Rock Catching (Ex): A horned cyclops can catch Tiny, Small, Medium-size, or Large rocks (or projectiles of similar shape). Once per round, the cyclops that would normally be hit by a rock can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 10 for a Tiny rock, 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium-size one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile has a magical bonus to attack, the DC increases by that amount.) The cyclops must be ready for and aware of the attack, and its -2 DEX penalty applies to the roll.
00124-12VCYCLOPS_sm.jpg

Last edited:

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Very good work, Geo. It's guys like you that make me proud to homebrew. But I must ask: why the Earth subtype?

Also, I'm assuming that by "upper" and "lower", you are referring to the goat legs vs the softer torso. I am also assuming that you use called shots. Most DMs don't. So would an average AC be 15?

Demiurge out.

Last edited:

Geocorona

First Post
D-
I would say called shots, or else assume that the legs would be targeted if the PCs were hand-to-hand on the ground, upper torso if firing missles or striking from an elevated level.

I wouldn't average the AC unless you wanted to simplify the encounter.

Cyclopes are descended from Vulcan's cyclopean assistants. Vulcan is both Fire and Earth, I believe. The Earth reference is just there because most giants seem to have an elemental subtype. I could probably drop it, since it doesn't seem to add any special qualities to this guy.

F-
You mean 2d6 too much for his horn damage? Maybe so, but it's a big horn. I think it's also likely his BAB for the horn is too high. Maybe I should make claws the primary attack.

Last edited:

Geocorona

First Post
Okay, I made these changes:

1) Dropped Earth subtype, since it didn't change anything.

2) Made Gore a secondary attack, which not only dropped BAB, but also damage bonus. I left the base damage at 2d6, though, which is the standard gore damage for Huge giants.

3) Added AC averaging as an option.

Krishnath

First Post
Very nice work there Geo. Personally I would have made it a little thougher, but then again. I like my high CR monsters... ;)

But I really like it. :D

Geocorona

First Post
I suppose if the dragon hadn't beaten it so badly in the movie I would have made it tougher. ;) I'll probably add a couple of warrior levels to it in play.

Remove ads