Modern Bard Songs

zdanboy

First Post
Yay!!!
A music topic!!! Yay!!!

Ehem.....excuse me for that I got too much music lately....been getting on my find....

That said...I can reccomend some bands and their songs...

Someone here mentioned Manowar...and that is a suberberb band considering modern bard's songs.....try out "Heart Of Steel", "Swords In The Wind", "Master Of The Wind", "Courage"...

Another one is Iron Maiden.....a mega classic.....probably the most know heavy metal band ever......good songs include "The Trooper", "Powerslave", "The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner", "Wicker Man"....

A good and new heavy/power metal band is Iced Earth.....songs: "The Dark Saga", "Burnt Offerings", "Birth Of The Wicked", "Watching Over Me"...

Blind Guardian.....nuff said....a power metal legend....nearly antything by Guardian is good as a ballad.....personal favourites include: "Welcome To Dying", "Bard's Song - In The Forest" and "Mirror, Mirror"....

Motorhead.....believe it or not, they can also be a good band for this cause....songs: "Death Or Glory" and "I Am The Sword"....

Running Wild...a band with great swashbuckling flavour....great for a sailor-bard.....songs: "Under The Jolly Roger", "Port Royal", "Mordor", "Calico Jack"....

Hope that helps....glad to share my metal knowledge....

Bran Blackbyrd

Explorer
Secret Garden - Songs From A Secret Garden would probably suit your purposes (not the showtunes from the musical :)). Only a few of the tunes have vocals and they are minimal. Maybe a few "haunting celtic phrases" in a whole track.
I haven't had the pleasure of hearing their other albums, but if they're as good as the above-mentioned cd, then I recommend picking them up.

I don't really know any music websites other than BMG Music, but they do have samples from Secret Garden's cds.

In addition to music you'd hear in a tavern, cds with nature sounds on them can be good for setting the mood when the PCs are "on the road". My group has a cd with thunderstorms and crashing waves that we used to great effect during a shipboard adventure.

Kirsty MacColl's "Can't Stop Killing You"

When you're out there in the dark
I'll come rushing through your brains
When you wake up in the morning
I'll be coursing through your veins

When you're swimming in the water
I'm the hand that drags you under
I'm the lightning that strikes you
just before you hear the thunder

I can't stop killing you...

Anything from Suzanne Vega's first album (titled 'Suzanne Vega'), especially "The Queen and the Soldier." Also the song "Gypsy" from her second album, 'Solitude Standing.'

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Hmm... Have a Drink on Me by AC/DC.
Am I Evil?, the Unforgiven II, Seek and Destroy, Of Wolf and Man, and Enter Sandman by Metallica. Demon Speeding by Rob Zombie. Darkness, Mistress, Believe, Violence Fetish, and Devour by Disturbed. I've heard of a band called Za Frumi that sings in Tolkien Orcish-sehr cool! Rammstein rocks too. I'd say KoRn but no matter how much I like 'em, they really don't seem like fantasy. More's the pity. This ain't relevent, but I just saw KoRn LIVE! It ROCKED!

Moulin Rogue

First Post
Another mid-'70s song that sounds like a medieval ballad is "Temple of the King" by Rainbow. And speaking of Ritchie Blackmore:

Blackmore's Night: medieval-sounding music sung by a woman. That's Ritchie on guitar and his wife on vocals. www.blackmoresnight.com has audio samples and stuff.

Jamdin

Explorer
Try Mathie Grove by Ralph Stanley (yes, it's an traditional folk song but redone by one of Bluegrass music's greatest). Many of the songs from the movie,
O Brother, Where Art Thou, would be interesting songs to hear on the streets or in a tavern.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
I was going to send an email on this very subject to a friend. So here's what I told him.

<center>Easy(ish) to find and good in my opinion:</center>

Praeludium ad Simulationem
((Translation: "The more we practice, the better we fake it!"))
Performers: "Country Matters"
Label: Magnetic Oblivion Records
You just can't do better then this for authentic vocal music, you really can't... Well... Maybe you could. But this is just a great album.

Anything by the Poxy Boggards
Label: ... Who knows
Authentic? Maybe not, but it sounds authentic enough. And it's mostly about drinking so there you go.

The Art of the Bawdy Song
Performers: The Baltimore Consort and The Merry Companions
Label: Dorian Recordings
One of the few "Classical" albums with a Parental Advisory label. Ronchy and authentic.

Fanfare, British Music for Symphonic Brass Ensemble
Conductor: James Stobart
Label: Chandos - #6573
28 Fanfare(s?) with such helpfull titles as "Fanfare for a Dignified Occasion" and "Fanfare for a Festive Occasion". Very regal.

Songs and Dances from Shakespeare
Performers: Alastair McLachlan, John Potter, et al.
Label: Saydisc
A few instramentals and a few vocals from Shakespeare's plays. Including "Full Fathom Five", "When And I Was a Little Tiny Boy", and "The Willow Song". Not a bad investment.

Watkins Ale
Performers: Howard Bass, Ann Marie Morgan
Label: Dorian
Annother good selection of songs.

<center>Hard to find, but very good:</center>
Music From the Tutor Age
Performers:City Waites
Label: Sound Alive Music (UK)
33 tracks of tutor music which includes England be Glad, I Am a Jolly Foster, Blow Thy Horn Hunter, Gentil Prince, and others. Many on this album are by Henry VIII himself (Greensleaves not included). A few instramental pieces, but mostly songs from Henry's "Court Song Book".

Also in this series is "Music from the Age of Chivalry", which has a lot of great instramentals. However, it's even harder to find then Tutor Age... In the US. If you're in the UK, it might be easyer to find these used.

If you can get your hands on them, anything in the Sounds Alive series is gold.

Last edited:

Skarp Hedin

First Post
There's a wacky crazy group of Finnish string musicians called Apocalyptica who do Metallica songs with a string quartet.

Just instrumental, of course. They're really good, and it's quite amusing.

Those wacky Finns, I tellya.

Remove ads