Modern Bard Songs

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Well, if it's bardic tunes you're looking for, here are some artists and lyrics to consider (mostly country/folk); I'm sure that some are downloadable somewhere if they aren't available to you readily otherwise.

"Silver (The Hunger)" - Kris Kristofferson (The story of a music-making magic-man who wins and loses a woman when he gives up the illusions that make him so attractive, and what terrible thing he does to try and get her back)

"The Sabre And The Rose" - Kristofferson (The story of a fighting-man who finds true love in a brothel)

"Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts" - Bob Dylan (A rogue, a heist, beautiful women, a wicked man who "runs" a town...Classic!)

"Ship Of Fools" - Bob Seger (Ostensibly about a shipwreck)

Wild Rover (No Nay Never) - Clancy Brothers (essentially about what a Prodigal Son plans to do)

Some Celtic Folk - a batch of somewhat traditional songs

The Ballad Of Sawney Bean - Snakefinger; the link is to a page that has a downloadable mp3 (lyrics for the song are hard to find and mere text doesn't do Snakefinger's brilliant piece justice).

I'm a Man You Don't Meet Every Day - The Pogues; the song is based on a traditional piece, and this page also has a comparison with the original and a downloadable soundbite of the song. There are others that would make decent bard-songs on the page >>>here<<<.

Wippit Guud

First Post
You want a twist to having hard rock/heavy metal, with a medieval flair, get some music by Apocalyptica. They cover hard rock bands (primarily Metallica, but they have some other stuff), but the groups is a quartet of celloists. Nothing Else Matters sounds great on cellos.

On a related Metallica note, and for 'bigger' bands, get some of their songs performed with the (San Franciso, I think) symphony orchestra.

Other than that, I have a bard PC who plays the lutes, managed to find a dozen lute-opnly songs for him to play.

Zogg

First Post
I've always thought that song that was the theme song for The Wonder Years would be good. The song that goes like...

What would you do if I sang out of tune?
Would you get up and walk out on me?
Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song
I will try not to sing out of key....

Unfortunately I don't know the title or artist. I know, bad.

zdanboy

First Post
I was browsing through my cd collection today.....and stumbled upon a great song by Helloween..."A Tale That Wasn't Right"....try it out if you wanna a sad ballad....it rox as that...

Maerdwyn

First Post
Scarbonac said:

"Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts" - Bob Dylan (A rogue, a heist, beautiful women, a wicked man who "runs" a town...Classic!)

Was just about to recommend that myself. Classic is right!.

If you like folksy kind of music, a bunch of Jim Croce's songs work for the comical hero genre of tavern music. From "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" and "Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown" to "Roller Derby Queen". He also does a version of the bawdy Scottish tune, "The Ball of Kerrymuir" ("Four and twenty virgins went up to Inverness. And when the ball was over, we were four and twenty less!")

In classic country songs, a ton would work as bardic ballads, because they focus on heroes overcoming long odds. "Big Bad John", "Big Iron", "Saginaw, Michigan", etc. "A Boy Named Sue" and other funny songs in the genre also work.

The Dire Straits greatest hits compilation has worked really well as background music - "Sultans of Swing" happened to come on while the party was in a tavern, while "Brothers in Arms" played as a PC died and the party began to morn.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I had previously forgotton about this but...

The soundtrack to O Brother WHere Art thou is sort of olk rock. Likewise, pretty much the same thing is the Down from the Mountain Tour.

Speaker

First Post
How about Chris De Burg, whom I consider one of the best modern bards out there. Every song a story... and some that would work well as D&D campaigns.

Remove ads