Moffat stepping down; no Who in 2016

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The official Twitter channel just confirmed that Moffat is doing just one more series of Doctor Who before stepping down. He's being replaced by the showrunner of Broadchurch.

Also, s10 won't be broadcast until Spring 2017. Over a year away.

Ryujin

Legend
That's rather a long time to wait, but I very much enjoyed "Broadchurch."

I thought that they had already decided on someone else to take over; someone from "Sherlock." Mark Gatiss, perhaps? Can't remember.

Staffan

Legend
I'm hoping we can get a showrunner who'll give the show his full attention, instead of trying to run two flagship shows simultaneously (or alternately, as it turned out).

delericho

Legend
While I've mostly enjoyed his tenure, I think this is good news. A show like DW really needs to refresh itself every few years, and while that happens on-screen with the change of Doctor and Companion, I think it applies behind the camera as well.

carrot

Explorer
Mr Moffat wrote all of the best episodes when Russell T Davis was in charge, but nothing seems to have been quite at that level since he became the showrunner. I think some new blood is definitely good news.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mr Moffat wrote all of the best episodes when Russell T Davis was in charge, but nothing seems to have been quite at that level since he became the showrunner. I think some new blood is definitely good news.

I think the latest series (s9) was the best series in years! Missy was superb, Skaro, that long conversation with Davros, the speech at the end of the Zygon episode, the episode where Capaldi acted alone for 45 minutes, the 15 minutes at the start of the final episode where he didn't say a word, yet controlled everything around him. All superb stuff. The only real misstep in my view was Mark Gatiss' Sleep No More (then again, I never like Gatiss' episodes), and the underwater base two-parter with the ghosts was a little weak. Definitely consistently the strongest season for a long, long time.

One thing I really hope is that Capaldi stays on for a bit longer. He's settled into the role now, and he's doing stuff that no other actor is quite strong enough to do. Tennant or Smith couldn't have pulled off that silent stretch at the start of Hell Bent. They're both great, but Capaldi is such a strong actor, and this year (unlike last year) he got the right scripts.

Ryujin

Legend
I think the latest series (s9) was the best series in years! Missy was superb, Skaro, that long conversation with Davros, the speech at the end of the Zygon episode, the episode where Capaldi acted alone for 45 minutes, the 15 minutes at the start of the final episode where he didn't say a word, yet controlled everything around him. All superb stuff. The only real misstep in my view was Mark Gatiss' Sleep No More (then again, I never like Gatiss' episodes), and the underwater base two-parter with the ghosts was a little weak. Definitely consistently the strongest season for a long, long time.

One thing I really hope is that Capaldi stays on for a bit longer. He's settled into the role now, and he's doing stuff that no other actor is quite strong enough to do. Tennant or Smith couldn't have pulled off that silent stretch at the start of Hell Bent. They're both great, but Capaldi is such a strong actor, and this year (unlike last year) he got the right scripts.

Agreed. Rumour seems to be that he's had his run and is done, but I hope not. I have very much enjoyed his Doctor so far.

Staffan

Legend
I think the latest series (s9) was the best series in years!

I agree that the last season was excellent, but the Matt Smith years were a bit so-so - occasionally brilliant, but some stuff that was fairly weak. I wonder why this season jumped so in quality - did Moffat level up, or did he and Capaldi just gel a lot better with one another?

Remove ads