Moffat stepping down; no Who in 2016

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I agree that the last season was excellent, but the Matt Smith years were a bit so-so - occasionally brilliant, but some stuff that was fairly weak. I wonder why this season jumped so in quality - did Moffat level up, or did he and Capaldi just gel a lot better with one another?

I think (a) Capaldi is the strongest actor they've ever had, and (b) it took Moffat a year to work out how to write for him.

I really enjoyed this past season. Particularly episodes Heaven Sent. That was remarkable.

A bit disappointed we have to wait a year. Also a little puzzled by their choice for new show runner. I have heard great things about Broadchurch, and I liked Torchwood well enough, but when I checked out the list of Doctor Who episodes he wrote, there really weren't any that stood out as incredible to (though maybe they were going with his overall diversity in tone or something). But maybe his experience with Broadchurch and Torchwood is what made him a good choice.

Ranes

Adventurer
Last season was the best for some years but I've not been a big fan of Steven Moffat since he became show runner. I thought he spent too much of his tenure trying to be too clever by half, by which I mean indulging in the tendency to spin up overwrought and over complicated storylines to distract us from the fact that the plot being served up at any given moment is simply not that great.

I think everybody taking time out and Steven Moffat moving on is ultimately for the best, in spite of the writer having been responsible for some of the most brilliant Dr Who stories since the very beginning. And I hope, that when the show returns, it still stars Peter Capaldi, because I think he, given a couple more years and the absolutely top drawer writing, direction and production values he deserves, could just end up becoming the definitive Doctor, at least in my lifetime.

Moffat certainly made some of the best episodes, and I think he had a certain strength in writing really complex time travel stories - but others have pointed out, this sometimes came at the expense of the individual story. So maybe it's a good thing overall. And he might not be gone entirely, we'll see.

A year of waiting is not so great, however. :(

By the way, Broadchurch had been on my Netflix list for a while now because I knew Tennant was in it, but now that it's showrunner is moving to Doctor Who. I've watched it this weekend, and it was really excellent. Great acting, interesting mystery, emotionally intense. (Plus, it also has Rory). So I am optimistic.

One thing I find interesting is the thrust of Chibnall's Dr. Who work in S7 (although I'm highly unimpressed by Torchwood S1+2 - at least it wasn't Miracle Day). Pond Life/Dinosaurs on a Spaceship/The Power of Three/P.S. In other words centred round the Companions not The Doctor (although The Doctor was tremendously important), introducing Brian Williams, and showing that the two of them were from Earth and had lives here albeit slightly surreal ones.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Hmmm. Not sure how I feel about this. I agree that his episodes while RTD ran the show were amazing, but part of that was just how bad a writer RTD was and how silly the show often came across. While I liked CE and DT as the Doctor going back and watching a lot of that is honestly painful. There were gems beyond Moffat's stuff but a lot of just bad. And I'm a pretty hard core Dr Who fan who listens to the Big Finish audios. So Moffat's run wasn't so silly, no episodes about being stuck in traffic for 30 years or farting aliens, it seemed as others have said to try too hard at times to be complex and clever. I love Capaldi's Doctor. Of the new series Docs he's easily my favorite since he got back to more of what I always liked about the Doctor in attitude. Older, a fair bit arrogant, dismissive of Earthlings at times. He wasn't the young guy that the companion was trying to shag. I liked how this season got away more from going so much into the companions home life as well. Well I'll watch regardless but it sucks there will be no Who in 2016. But there are so many Big Finish audios to catch up on in the meantime. Hopefully in the next series they can have a multi Doctor episode with Paul McGann.

delericho

Legend
I hope Steven Moffat won't be against writing the occasional Who episode now and again in the future.

Maybe in a few years. But in the immediate future, he needs to stay clear, for the sake of the new guy. There's not much harder than following someone who has been a high-profile success... though trying to do it while the old guy is still hanging around is one example.

Herschel

Adventurer
I am leery of Chibnall, I loved Series 1 Broadchurch and thought "Hey, i'm digging his writing now, despite not liking his Doctor Who stuff" and then came Series 2 and "Oh, yeah, he's just okay".

I also think they've kind of developed New Doctor/New Showrunner. IIRC they even did this in the original series a fair amount. To be honest, it's probably best as the jarring effect is most natural when a new Doctor comes in. Supposedly Moffat almost had both Tennant and Smith staying on for a longer stint, but it was not to be.

Remove ads