• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk attacks

trentonjoe

Explorer
Do monk attacks always get the stat modifier to damage? My group has played that way but I just read te monk description and can’t find the reason why.

For example, my 1st level monk with a 16 dex should do 1d4+3 for his attack action but does he also do 1d4+3 with his bonus action martial arts attack? If so, what, and where, is the rule I am missing?

Thanks in advance

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
The Monk's Martial Arts ability lets him use the Martial arts die instead of the normal 1 point for an unarmed strike. He can also use that damage die for a Monk weapon. These unarmed strikes add the Dex bonus as normal. The only time you don't add the ability bonus on a weapon attack is when you are attacking with the off hand such as in two weapon fighting where that rule says you can't. Your monk won't be two weapon fighting because he is already using his bonus action to use Flurry of blows.

André Soares

First Post
Unless an weapon attack says otherwise, it always gets the stat modifier to damage. Currently the only kind of melee weapon attack that does not add the stat modifier is the second attack in when doing two weapon fighting.

The monk's ability isn't Two Weapon Fighting, and follow the rules in the class description, so yes, you can add the stat modifier.

The Monk's Martial Arts ability lets him use the Martial arts die instead of the normal 1 point for an unarmed strike. He can also use that damage die for a Monk weapon. These unarmed strikes add the Dex bonus as normal. The only time you don't add the ability bonus on a weapon attack is when you are attacking with the off hand such as in two weapon fighting where that rule says you can't. Your monk won't be two weapon fighting because he is already using his bonus action to use Flurry of blows.
Shouldn't that be strength bonus?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
For example, my 1st level monk with a 16 dex should do 1d4+3 for his attack action but does he also do 1d4+3 with his bonus action martial arts attack? If so, what, and where, is the rule I am missing?

Page 9 of the basic rules, under "Weapons".
Page 60 of the basic rules, under "Attack Rolls and Damage".
Page 73 of the basic rules, under "Melee Attacks".

the Jester

Legend
Do monk attacks always get the stat modifier to damage? My group has played that way but I just read te monk description and can’t find the reason why.

Thanks in advance

Why wouldn't he? The general rule is yes, and there's no rule otherwise that applies in this case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads