• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E monk magic weapon

nswanson27

First Post
Hmm, fair enough. I had forgotten you can only flurry once, despite the fighter having so many attacks, because it is a bonus action. I was thinking of a flurry per attack action, which could have been scary.

Maybe haste + action surge might be a little over the top? hmm...

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
The d4 stacks seem a little overpowered to me. But I'm not seeing the issue here. As many have said, monks get magic "weapons" as part of level progression. If you want more, just pick up a +X shortsword, or staff, or whatever monk weapon you want with +X.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Maybe haste + action surge might be a little over the top? hmm...
Haste is only ever one additional attack.

Really, I don't think it is worth worrying about the maximum potential of stacked-up d4 because it takes too specific a build (monk + fighter + this weapon + haste from somewhere + action surge), and is limited in application because you have to get lucky and actually score nothing but hits on that rare instance that all limited resources are spent at once (ki + action surge + spell slot/other magic item).

And maximum potential, you aren't actually going to see that much more damage than something like a full fighter with a flame tongue greatsword (roughly 20% more at absolute best conditions if my math was correct).

Last edited:

nswanson27

First Post
Haste is only every one additional attack.

Really, I don't think it is worth worrying about the maximum potential of stacked-up d4 because it takes too specific a build (monk + fighter + this weapon + haste from somewhere + action surge), and is limited in application because you have to get lucky and actually score nothing but hits on that rare instance that all limited resources are spent at once (ki + action surge + spell slot/other magic item).

And maximum potential, you aren't actually going to see that much more damage than something like a full fighter with a flame tongue greatsword (roughly 20% more at absolute best conditions if my math was correct).

Ok that makes sense. Now here you're convincing me this ok. Haha.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads