D&D 5E Monk Martial Arts Bonus Attack Question - New (Returning) Player

spartan67

First Post
So to be clear, When using an attack with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon, I can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action. BIG QUESTION: Does that bonus action attack gain the ability modifier to the damage? Otherwise, wouldn't this facet of the Monk's Martial Arts ability be VERY similar to two-weapon fighting? Thanks!

With this all in mind, I'm trying to decide on a Feat to take as well since I'm trying to use the Variant Human Traits for building my Monk.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Yes, your martial arts attacks get ability score damage.

The base rule is that all weapon/unarmed/natural attacks get ability score as bonus damage - TWF is an exception so it calls it out.

sulimo0310

Explorer
Blue has the right of it, ability mod gets added to the bonus action unarmed strike.

If you are looking for suggestions on a feat for your V. Human Monk, might I suggest mobile. The extra movement helps you fulfill your primary role as a striker, and the ability to retreat from a foe you make an attack against, hit or miss, without provoking an attack of opportunity is priceless. At low levels you won't have the HP or AC to hang out and trade blows in melee, and at higher levels when you can make multiple attacks in a round (up to 4 with a ki point spent) you can potentially slip by multiple mooks unscathed to drop a stunning fist or quivering palm or whatever nasty trick you have planed for the BBEG.

Sent from my SM-G930P using EN World mobile app

mellored

Legend
TWF can be used by anyone, including wizards, but does not include the stat to damage.

Any other feature gives you an attack gives you +stat to damage. Monks are better at punching than wizards.

Remove ads