• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster role and lore checks

gnfnrf

First Post
Is there a level of success on a monster lore check that identifies the creature's role, level, or elite/solo status? None of the listed info includes this, but it seems odd that one can find out great detail about all of a creature's special attacks, but nothing about which defense to attack or how many HP it is likely to have.

--
gnfnrf

MarkB

Legend
I generally include the monster's role along with the "Name, type and keywords" section, but officially, no, it's not amongst the information provided.

LaserWolf

First Post
Giving players specific numbers makes it more of an exercise in probability than creativity. I've found that you can usually make reasonable guesses about a creature's defenses based on a pretty basic description. HP is a little trickier to describe. I would be happy to tell my players that a creature has "especially poor reflexes" but I'd rather not say a creature "has a Reflex defense of 12".

BobTheNob

First Post
My players get zero numbers off creatures. The best I will give is value descriptions ("yes, it has a higher armor class than usual"). Never ever numbers. We have to leave some mystery in the game after all.

That said, I will also be generous with information in order that they can get the most out of their characters. For instance
Rogue : "I hit him with sly flourish"
DM(me) : "Word to the wise. He has high armor and you have Penetrating strike. Sly flourish will do more, but penetrating strike has a much better chance of hitting"
Rogue : "Ok. More important to get sneak damage in. I will use penetrating strike"

Didnt tell them the numbers, but did let them know which way the wind blew

Remove ads