D&D 5E Monsters struggling to hit players? Common?

S'mon

Legend
What do you accomplish by grappling the tanky fighter-type? Making them stay next to you until you're dead? That's probably what they were planning to do anyway.

I'm going to assume that by "trip," you mean "shove."

1. Athletics check to grapple, can't move.
2. Athletics check to knock prone - grant advtg & disad to hit.
3. Profit. :D

#3 Assumes the GM rules the prone target cannot stand while grappled (unless they first win a grapple roll), which is certainly how I'd run it.

Nebulous

Legend
I would also add that this game works best when it's one of attrition. If the DM is presenting a couple of encounters per adventuring day (which is a pretty common way people prep scenarios these days), then things get thrown out of whack with high AC characters who will end that adventuring day with a lot of their resources intact. In a game like mine, most of the PCs have high AC (two warforged fighters and a cleric with heavy armor, for example), but they get put through the ringer every adventuring day and are depleted by the end of it due to the occasional big hit from a monster and some effects with saves.

Yeah, it does seem best when their backs are to the wall, spell slots are expended, hit points are low, and then you really do need that high AC.

Dausuul

Legend
1. Athletics check to grapple, can't move.
2. Athletics check to knock prone - grant advtg & disad to hit.
3. Profit. :D

#3 Assumes the GM rules the prone target cannot stand while grappled (unless they first win a grapple roll), which is certainly how I'd run it.
Okay. Yes, that tactic works. But notice that you are now expecting the DM to look at two different special attacks (grapple and shove), plus the detailed "being prone" rules (which specify you can't stand from prone when your speed is 0), and put all these together to achieve a soft lock.

That goes well beyond "look at the strategies in the book."

Gadget

Adventurer
Well, I don't have the experience of many, but I find that Bounded Accuracy is strained by higher ACs, particularly in the lower tiers. I find it helpful to keep magic Armor and shields rare or non-existant (or maybe changing the magic to something like granting water-breathing, or able to don or doff in an instant with a command word, etc.), helps.

Secondly, if they are getting high ACs from spells or some other limited resource, then a couple more encounters per day could put them out of their comfort zone, especially paladins. This is not always possible, especially when you are not running a Dungeon Crawl, but can be useful. Also, you could make things like plate armor somewhat rare and less easily found as any old black smith's shop, though care should be given to avoid gimping a player that has invested in heavy armor.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I don't know that I've ever seen a wizard run out of spell slots. Certainly not after they've reached third level or so.

In my experience, the only real cost associated with Shield is that you cannot then Counterspell in the same round.

I do it now and then to my players. Not every time of course. But I use the optional rules of a long rest is several days, and we may go two or more gaming sessions between long rests. People are responsible for jotting down their status between sessions, but it's never really been an issue.

May not work for everyone, and certainly doesn't apply to many AL games but it can be done if it works for your group.

Draegn

Explorer
An option one might consider is to use setting. The capital city of our March is governed by a Count Bishop who has decreed that only gambesons (padded) and buff coats (leather) armor may be worn within city limits, and that only small blades (length between elbow and wrist or less) can be carried.

The exception to this are the various guard units, watch, sheriffs, nobility and knights. This has lead to some very vicious knife fights between the thieves and the rival guilds in the back alleys. The other players except the paladin turn their gear in at the gate or leave it behind at their favorite inn when on business in the city.

Dausuul

Legend
I don't know that I've ever seen a wizard run out of spell slots. Certainly not after they've reached third level or so.

In my experience, the only real cost associated with Shield is that you cannot then Counterspell in the same round.
I wouldn't go quite that far, but yes, it's quite rare to get to the point where you're counting your 1st-level slots. The folks casting shield are generally not front-line warriors, so they aren't taking a lot of attacks to start with, and then you know what the enemy rolled before casting, so you only expend a spell slot when it will make the difference between a hit and a miss.

Furthermore, most casters IME keep a concentration spell going throughout combat. Losing that spell means burning another slot (which is almost certainly higher than 1st level) and wasting an action to re-cast. A 1st-level slot and your reaction is a small price to avoid that hazard.

Once you get into tier 2, the value proposition of shield is very very high. As a caster player, I have little or no hesitation in using it whenever I need to.

S'mon

Legend
I do it now and then to my players. Not every time of course. But I use the optional rules of a long rest is several days, and we may go two or more gaming sessions between long rests. People are responsible for jotting down their status between sessions, but it's never really been an issue.

May not work for everyone, and certainly doesn't apply to many AL games but it can be done if it works for your group.

I do this too - 1 week for a Long Rest. The result is that the PCs typically have to complete a mission before they can LR, and this may well be the book-suggested 6-8 encounters, but over 2-3 sessions. Lady Aeridnis Vorzin in my Sunday Thule game has currently had 5 encounters since her last LR over 2 sessions, is in the middle of a 6th, and I expect 2 more next session for 8 total before she finally gets a nice - and well deserved - long rest. :D

I find the game works much better this way. I keep short rests at 1 hour and PCs generally have a couple encounters per SR; the class balance is much better than with overnight LR.

Remove ads