D&D 5E Monte Cook working on 5E?

ggroy

First Post
What many people don't seem to understand or want to think is true is that there are many of us who just buy games. And we don't care if they are completely new brands, or new editions of existing brands. Games are games.

More generally for that matter, I've met many gamers over the years who have no idea what Gencon, DDXP, Origins, etc ... are. They largely don't care either.

delericho

Legend
What do you have in mind?

Simply put: the sky is falling.

Basically, I think D&D-RPG is just too small for it to be worth Hasbro's while. And at the same time, the D&D IP is too valuable for them to consider selling it.

I do expect 5e to come out, but I also expect it to be fairly short-lived, regardless of actual quality. At the same time, I can see them continuing with video games, a new MMO or two, board games, perhaps a CCG, minis games, and movies.

A

amerigoV

If 5E books produce more sales than any potential new 4E book would, then of course it will help.

What many people don't seem to understand or want to think is true is that there are many of us who just buy games. And we don't care if they are completely new brands, or new editions of existing brands. Games are games. If there's a fifth iteration of the D&D brand out there, then sure, we'll pick it up, because it'd be fun and interesting to look at and potentially play. And it doesn't mean it's because we've "given up" on a previous edition... it just means that it's a NEW GAME to buy.

I wrote this a couple of years ago on this board (not that I can find it). D&D has become Star Wars. We all love a certain episode that hooked us (us Grognards love Eps IV). Ever since then, we have bitched about SW. BUT! We still go see any new movie on SW that is made (sometime 2 or 3 times to make sure we gots lots to complain about). If Lucus makes a new one, we will be there, but it certainly will not be as good as (insert favorite Eps).

D&D is a bit like that. I am sure a lot of people got the 4e PHB even if they really were not sure if they were going to change systems. I'm a Savage Worlds guy now. If 5e comes out, I'll probably at least look at the PHB. I may never play it, but it likely will join the collection (and come here to complain about a new core race - Gungans).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sounds like hearsay. I still don't buy it. For WotC to publish a new system after 3 years, when the last one ran 10 is pretty unbelievable.

The last one took 2 years to develop, and we have no reason to think the next one would not take just as long. And given 2014 is the 40th anniversary of D&D, seems like early 2014 would be your release date.

So we are not talking 3 years, but 5 years.

Now looking at the prior edition, it has a major revision. I know some people call 3.5 not "major", but it certainly made a clean sweep of the 3rd party publishing, and required enough of a revision so as to alter many people's campaigns. And it resulted in the core books being republished, and in essence many of the prior books to be republished as well. So, in many ways, 3.0 lasted about 5 years, and 3.5 lasted about 5 years.

And looking at other RPG systems, 5 years seems pretty close to an average for their new editions as well.

So, it doesn't seem to me that 5 years is too short a time frame for a new edition...even in the realm of D&D.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
So, 3.0 = 5 years?, 3.5 = 5 years?, 4E - ?, 4Essentials = ? Somehow the math on this isn't making sense . . .

Dungeons & Dragons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3.0 released in 2000 (beginning in August?), 3.5 released in June 2003, 4E in June 2008, and 4Essentials in November? of 2010, as near as I can tell. While we might see 5E (or whatever they call it) as early as 2012, I suspect June 2013 will be the target release (giving 3.XE an eight year run and 4.XE a five year run, or less). Anyone can see the cycle is shrinking considerably.

qstor

Adventurer
I think it will probably come out next year. I think its a valid assumption that Monte is working on 5e.

Mike

TheAuldGrump

First Post
That's what I think as well except I prefer 4E over 3.x/PF. I will certainly give a fair shake to whatever edition comes out next but I won't get drawn in simply because it's a new edition--I'll have to like it more than 4E.
Exactly - and until the natural cycle of either game draws to a close, I don't see a fifth edition being as popular as either game. If anything they will split the market three ways, with 4e being left in the cold, since the GSL will not permit a spinoff like the OGL allowed Pathfinder.

I am pretty that was kind of what they wanted to do with the 3.X architecture, but instead they created their own competition.

4e won't have that kind of shelter, other than sticking with 4e, I don't see fans of that system having a lot of options if 5e does come out soon.

Another possibility, and the one that I will hope for, is that 5e will continue the 4e architecture, but open the license back into something resembling the OGL. I think that trying to kill the OGL was their biggest mistake. Other things that I consider mistakes may just be personal taste, but the GSL... I can't think of much good to say about it.

I still won't play 5e (see above - Pathfinder is still the shiny), but it does not leave the 4e players huddling in the snow.

The Auld Grump

Sir Robilar

First Post
With everyone giving their guesses already, shouldn´t we create an official "When will 5E be released?" betting thread? So when it finally happens we can all check in that thread who was correct.

Remove ads