D&D 5E Moon Druid/Sun Soul Monk Multiclass

faria

First Post
Can Moon Druids who take Monk Multiclass dips for the WIS boost to AC cast the Sun Soul Monk abilities while in animal form?

If so, this seems like a fun combo.

Pinwheel

First Post
Son, thinking like this is the reason man has landed on the moon. I can see nothing in the rules that would prevent this from working so long as you take the attack action.

Bravo.

faria

First Post
I can't possibly be the first person to come up with this... But I also can't find anything on Google. Under the Casting Elemental Spells section under Monk on page 80, it says to "See Chapter 10 for the general rules of Spellcasting" and keeps referring to using these abilities as "casting" and disciplines as "spells". Because of this, I'm inclined to think this really is "casting a spell", just using Ki points instead of spell slots. Page 67 specifically prevents spellcasting while in animal form, "You can't cast spells..." so this probably wouldn't work. I think this is worth a tweet to Crawford and Mearls for clarification though. Somebody wanna do the honors?

If it's okay, and you can cast these while in animal form, then what would be the best Elemental Disciplines?

Water Whip looks useful, not just for the damage, but for the 25ft pull as a tanking bear. What else?

miburo99

First Post
Wait, I'm a bit confused. First post is about Sun Soul, third is about Way of the Elements, right? But, those are two different archetypes.The Elements one seems like you are casting a spell via ki points. The Way of the Sun Soul specifies the radiant attack as "Ranged Spell Attack." Dunno if that counts as casting a spell or not.

bid

First Post
The Way of the Sun Soul specifies the radiant attack as "Ranged Spell Attack." Dunno if that counts as casting a spell or not.
Wildshape's restriction might refer to the "cast a spell" action, but you use the "attack" action for radiant sun bolt. The 2 points of contention are:
- "any action that requires hands is limited"
- "physically capable of doing so"

I think the "you are proficient with it" goes the same way as your simple weapon proficiency, at least if you believe you need hands to hurl those bolts. But they might come out of your eyes, for all I know.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Or he can shift into a dog with sun bolts in his mouth, and when he barks he shoots sun bolts at you?

If you can pull this off with a Warforged, you win D&D.

faria

First Post
Oops, I was mixing up Sun Soul and Way of the Elements. I'm dumb. It seems like quite a few inventions were the result of happy accidents. Hurray!

Looking at it now, it looks like Way of the Elements really is a "caster", using Ki instead of Spell Slots, and "casting" is forbidden. So Way of the Elements does not work.

But Sun Soul does work, at least according to my reading. Ranged (or Melee for that matter) Spell Attacks aren't spells being cast. It's a unique ability. Even Raging Barbarians could benefit from this multiclass, since they're not spells.

What's the best build for a Moon Druid/Sun Soul Monk? Still 18/2? I know Moon Druids don't multiclass well...

And since I brought it up, what's the best build for a Barbarian/Sun Soul Monk?

bid

First Post
And since I brought it up, what's the best build for a Barbarian/Sun Soul Monk?
Mu.

Martial arts only works when naked, which means 13 16 14 8 16 8 basic human, AC16.
If you don't get monk 5, you do no better than tavern brawler. That means you stop at barb 4 or double-up on extra attack.
You don't have the Str to make rage worthwhile offensively, your only gain is reckless attack's advantage.

The MC rule: pick any 2 stats, 3rd must be Con. This one is Str + Dex + Wis.

faria

First Post
That MC rule shouldn't apply to Moon Druids though... Your CON gets replaced, and Wild Shape gives you buffer HP so you don't have to worry about dying.

Even for a Barbarian, MCing without a high CON isn't a big deal. They have d12 hit dice to begin with and can go wolf totem for even more tankiness. And for the record, monks don't have to go DEX. Yeah you need 13 for the multiclass, but if you're going Barbarian/Monk MC then I'd just stick to building STR and take a monk weapon that can deal STR damage. Versatile Quarterstaff would be cool with Sentinel. Keeping them at 10ft so your Sun Soul Ranged Spell Attacks don't have Disadvantage.

bid

First Post
And for the record, monks don't have to go DEX. Yeah you need 13 for the multiclass, but if you're going Barbarian/Monk MC then I'd just stick to building STR and take a monk weapon that can deal STR damage.
So, AC12?

Or are you going to wear armor and only get a 1d4+3 radiant sun bolt for a 3 level dip?

Remove ads