• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moon Knight - SPOILERS

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If you are asking for logical consistency around magic, you are unlikely to find it.
I'm asking if they are more than one person, or not (which is the part I liked second least in the finale)......because if they aren't, he doesn't have to save him, he's there (as Stephen realized in the previous episode, if Marc is in him, he can do what Marc does.....and yet). If they are one person, well, a lot of that didn't make sense.....

Within the system they have laid out, I'm asking for internal logic (that's very important for magic in fiction, as many writers have told us over and over).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm asking if they are more than one person, or not (which is the part I liked second least in the finale)......because if they aren't, he doesn't have to save him, he's there (as Stephen realized in the previous episode, if Marc is in him, he can do what Marc does.....and yet). If they are one person, well, a lot of that didn't make sense.....

Within the system they have laid out, I'm asking for internal logic (that's very important for magic in fiction, as many writers have told us over and over).

You'd have to define "one person" first. Their version of dissociative identity disorder raises unanswered questions about what it means to be "one person". We might say that we are talking about "souls", but what is a soul, then?

If you want to know if they are one person, and then derive whether or not the presented narrative makes sense, I'd say you are going about this backwards. The narrative is what it is - and it may imply that our understanding of personhood and/or the underlying metaphysics of that fictional universe which is incomplete.

Ultimately, when faced with magic or spiritual elements, it is best to assume it doesn't make logical sense, because magic isn't about logic. That's what we have science for. Magic should make emotional or metaphorical sense, not logical sense.

Consider, for example, the possibility that the whole thing was really imagery brought about by Tawaret to help Marc get his crap together one way or another - and it made satisfying emotional and psychological sense to Marc, so that he could choose what he really wanted overall.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
You'd have to define "one person" first. Their version of dissociative identity disorder raises unanswered questions about what it means to be "one person". We might say that we are talking about "souls", but what is a soul, then?

If you want to know if they are one person, and then derive whether or not the presented narrative makes sense, I'd say you are going about this backwards. The narrative is what it is - and it may imply that our understanding of personhood and/or the underlying metaphysics of that fictional universe which is incomplete.

Ultimately, when faced with magic or spiritual elements, it is best to assume it doesn't make logical sense, because magic isn't about logic. That's what we have science for. Magic should make emotional or metaphorical sense, not logical sense.

Consider, for example, the possibility that the whole thing was really imagery brought about by Tawaret to help Marc get his crap together one way or another - and it made satisfying emotional and psychological sense to Marc, so that he could choose what he really wanted overall.
I would say, in this particular alternate world, that they're all separate souls all inhabiting the same body. Marc and Steven were judged. Jake was not. Tawaret said that the psychiatric hospital was a construct to help them understand what was happening, but I don't know that the rest was. It wasn't explicitly stated either way. I guess that doesn't explain why she weighed both hearts at the same time but, again, metaphysics not science.

Dire Bare

Legend
I would say, in this particular alternate world, that they're all separate souls all inhabiting the same body. Marc and Steven were judged. Jake was not. Tawaret said that the psychiatric hospital was a construct to help them understand what was happening, but I don't know that the rest was. It wasn't explicitly stated either way. I guess that doesn't explain why she weighed both hearts at the same time but, again, metaphysics not science.
I think that both states could be true simultaneously . . . . that Mark, Steven, and Jake are all the same person . . . . and that they are all different people. Perhaps due to the magical influence of Khonshu, Mark evolved from a more realistic multiple personality to each personality becoming more real and separate from the others. But never entirely separate.

pukunui

Legend
Do you need a video to claim that? You can just look at it yourself! Does it?
I just did, and yep - confirmed (@Rabulias). There's a boat that looks like Taweret's next to a building that is vaguely the same shape as Osiris' doorway out of the Duat. This is in the close-up view of the fishtank at the end of episode 6.

EDIT: Both the fish and the building are there in the very first episode as well. Along with Nefertiti's head, a golden pyramid, and a sphinx.

EDIT 2: Does anyone know how to bypass Disney+'s blocking of screenshots? (I'd snap a pic of my monitor with my phone but there's too much glare at the moment.)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Do you need a video to claim that? You can just look at it yourself! Does it?
In the video it is too small for me to tell and I have not been able to go back and rewatch the episodes yet. Just too eager to share with the crowd here to wait for confirmation. :LOL:

Remove ads