D&D 5E More about the Warlock. L&L March 3

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
With that, I wonder if one solution to the "metagame action economy" scenario is to have the critter just add an effect to their master's attacks. Poison claws, poison sting -- maybe rather than being a "sic 'em!," it's more that the little bastard also gets in a hit when their boss does?
Considering this is the choice for warlocks who don't want to be in melee, that seems unlikely.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Considering this is the choice for warlocks who don't want to be in melee, that seems unlikely.

I don't think it's going to be quite so binary as "if you don't want to be in melee, you need to be a chainlock."

And even so, you don't need a combat pet to not be a melee class. Maybe they get Eldritch Blast. Pets don't need to be a weapon, necessarily.

I mean, they certainly could be. But I kind of find the image of a full-grown man sending out a little chihuahua sized quasit or dragon to melee for them to be more hilarious than not. ;) Those critters are not typically guardian combat machines a la your typical MMO pet.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I mean, they certainly could be. But I kind of find the image of a full-grown man sending out a little chihuahua sized quasit or dragon to melee for them to be more hilarious than not. ;) Those critters are not typically guardian combat machines a la your typical MMO pet.
Final Fantasy XIV tanking pet:
topaz-c.jpg

koga305

First Post
I'm reminded of the "Bug Catchers" and other low-level enemies in the Pokemon games. It worked for them, I suppose...

On a more serious note, I love the concept of the Chain Warlock, but the "Quasit/Pseudodragon" examples have me concerned - those are familiars, not reliable summons.

In Pathfinder, I'm playing a Summoner with an Eidolon replicating a Marilith (demon with six arms and a snake tail). I was able to create that concept at level 3, and while I wouldn't expect the 5E Warlock to be as broken-as-heck as the Summoner I would like to call up something that makes me feel like a powerful binder of extraplanar creatures.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I heard there was once was a youngster by the name of Joey whosold part of his soul to a Fey Queen to become a warlock. She gifted him the abilty to shoot bolts of eldritch energy from his hands and a fey rat which was in the top percentage of fey rats.

She also gifted him the ability to cast sending at will.

Joseph, Warlock of the Fey Chain Pact.

---
Personally I prefer a swarm of pixies for my feylocks.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Final Fantasy XIV tanking pet:
View attachment 60844

Even Carbuncle is probably 2-4 times the size of a quasit. ;) It'd be like asking your pet parrot to go kill bandits.

...which actually gives me a cool idea for a pirate-warlock, but anyway...

I'm not disabused of my sneaking suspicion that this chain pact isn't, at least at low levels, for giving you a pet that fights instead of you. Could be totally off, but that's what rampant speculation on message boards is for! :devil:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Even Carbuncle is probably 2-4 times the size of a quasit. ;) It'd be like asking your pet parrot to go kill bandits.

...which actually gives me a cool idea for a pirate-warlock, but anyway...

I'm not disabused of my sneaking suspicion that this chain pact isn't, at least at low levels, for giving you a pet that fights instead of you. Could be totally off, but that's what rampant speculation on message boards is for! :devil:
Might just be that the pet fights with you. Bladelocks get better melee, tomelocks get better spells, chainlocks get a better action economy.

people keep going on about warlocks being full casters, so I necroed this thread to see if people might have forgotten this article.

for 10 levels you only have 2 spells, they are of a good useable level, and recharge in a short rest though, then for the last 10 levels you get 2 more but the spell levels stay at 5th level until the end game when they level up to 6th...

So at 20th level a wizard has 4/4/4/4/4/1/1/1/1 for spells per day and the warlock has 0/0/0/0/0/4 but can recharge... how does that equal out?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
people keep going on about warlocks being full casters, so I necroed this thread to see if people might have forgotten this article.

for 10 levels you only have 2 spells, they are of a good useable level, and recharge in a short rest though, then for the last 10 levels you get 2 more but the spell levels stay at 5th level until the end game when they level up to 6th...

So at 20th level a wizard has 4/4/4/4/4/1/1/1/1 for spells per day and the warlock has 0/0/0/0/0/4 but can recharge... how does that equal out?

What are 16 6th level spells in a day worth? Wasn't there an exchange system in 3e that could be used to roughly figure this out?

Remove ads