• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most iconic spaceships?

Thourne

Hero
You think the average person on the street worldwide knows the Vindicator or Yamamoto?
Honestly, no more or less than say the Tardis. (UK excluded)
Everyone within fandom knows it sure, outside sci-fi fans. Not as much.
Hell most ppl today probably wouldn't recognize or understand a police box in general.

USS Enterprise (Star Trek)
Millenium Falcon (Star Wars)
Star Destroyer (Star Wars)

Runnerups might be the Klingon D7/K'Tinga or Bird of Prey, because they appeared fairly often in the Star Trek movies and series and have fairly recognizable shapes. Though the Enterprise D would probably still beat them. I guess the Borg Cube could qualify there, too, not many sci-fi franchises use that shape and the Borg themselves are also fairly iconic.
Stargate's Goa'uld yramid Ships might qualify, though I am not sure I know the class names, at least not anymore. But if you show me a space ship in shape of a pyramid, I'll think Stargate first.
Oh, and I think the TARDIS is a pretty decent pick, but I think Star Wars will win out. Triangles and Falcon are just too iconic. Not many would recognize it as British police box perhaps (or know that's not a phone booth), but if you literally created an icon or schematic display for it, people would more likely say TARDIS than anything else (other than perhaps "No clue". Just not as many as people that would recognize a Star Destroyer, Falcon or Enterprise shape...)

If we were talking spacefighters, X-Wing and TIE Fighter would probably the top picks. And I don't really know what would be my third. Babylon 5's Star Fury perhaps, but B5 might be comparatively obscure. Maybe that ship from Last Starfighter? Not entirely certain I'd always recognize it, I haven't even watched that movie, just heard about it, and it's a really old movie, not sure many people still recognize it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yeah theres a few restored old phone boxes around locally (mostly red), but the Tardis is the only blue police box seen for generations - that very fact Is still what makes it iconic :)

my runner ups including Enterprise, Tardis and Space Shuttle

I'm suprised noone has yet mentioned Red Dwarf

Thourne

Hero
Yeah theres a few restored old phone boxes around locally (mostly red), but the Tardis is the only blue police seen for generations - that very fact Is still what makes it iconic :)

my runner ups including Enterprise, Tardis and Space Shuttle

I'm suprised noone has yet mentioned Red Dwarf
and now that you said it, I'm sitting here shaking my head in disbelief as well.

Remove ads