• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Most powerful class in 5e

Tony Vargas

Legend
You think scouting and using missile weapons requires a party of system-masters? Those are very basic tactics.
I was thinking more broadly and generally than just a hypothetical DM who let simple tactics lead to consistent rollovers without ever varying challenges to make things more interesting. 5e's fast combat emphasis and bounded accuracy giving an advantage to parties vs lone monsters does lend itself to rollovers, but, by the same token, it can go the other way quite quickly when the PCs are at a disadvantage numerically or tactically, as well.

I never worry about it.
And that means I can't be curious about it?

I've never seen accurate CR/XP system. Too much variation between monsters.
I'm sure you can never have a perfect one. It seems like 3.x and 4e both did better than 5e (if Ashkelon is right, and I'm not convinced he is, 5e's guidelines would be a total failure), but, hey, if you habitually ignore such systems, you wouldn't notice any distinctions among them.

Terry Hawkins

Banned
Banned
Ranger Beast Master (3rd), take the Giant Poisonous Snake. The Ranger can cast Fog Cloud and the snake has blindsight 10. The snake has advantage on all attacks and creatures have disadvantage to hit it (unless the creature also has blindsight).

mellored

Legend
Overall I would say a winged tiefling infernal tome warlock. Good ranged damage, plenty of utility, and reasonable tough with their THP. They don't excell at any paticular thing, but they have no glaring weakness either.

If you allow multiclassing, then warlock/paladin 7. Same as above, but much tougher.

Of course, it depends on the party, and level. Bards can bring a huge boost to the right party, and moon druids dominate at level 2.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
For true power the Wizard is still unfortunately king. Too many high level Wizard spells do things not even other sprllcasters can do (except the Bard, :):):):) yeah!).

SpoCk0nd0pe

First Post
The Wizard is still reliant on other classes to do the actual killing. A Sorcerer 19/Hexblade 1 can outdamage most other classes in melee while casting. They do not have the spell versatility of the Wizard but are very powerful arcane casters with nasty meta magic tricks.

Unlike other very powerful level 20 gish builds, this one really has no weak levels and a very natural progression. Just make sure to grab warcaster and then you can multi class into Hexblade, preferably after 6-8 levels of Draconic Sorcerer.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think there is one but the lore bard might be a good contender as it can cherry pick the best spells and is not that weak at low levels either. Most powerful party might be the better criteria and then I would nominate something like a Paladin, Lore Bard, Abjurer, light cleric.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Wizards after a decent amount of leveling are the strongest IMO.

In the early and early mid game I'd go with Paladin or Druid or Bard.

Remove ads