Moving through occuped square

ShadowMaster

First Post
What should I do, during a combat, if one of my character want to pass through a square with a player in it?

1) if the player is in close combat?

2) if the player is in ranger combat?

3) if the player casted a ranged spell?

thanks...

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
By the rules, I believe that players are allowed to turn briefly ethereal and pass right through each other. In my last campaign, we usually inflicted an attack of opportunity for those sort of shenannigans (so it was safe to do as long as some beasty wasn't right in your face trying to kill you while you did it).

Madfox

First Post
Medium- and small sized creatures take up 5 by 5 ft square. Obviously this is more then large enough for other creatures to pass through (if of the same size or smaller). In case of enemies though it does require a tumbling check.

Xahn'Tyr's idea of AOO is not too bad, but I doubt I will ever use it.

dvvega

Explorer
A

I believe the following is accurate:

As long as the occupant of the square does not mind your presence you may move through it without a problem.

You do not disturb them or anything of that nature.

If it is a monster or someone who does not want you moving through that square then it must be a bull rush to go through them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
1) if the player is in close combat?
Then the attacks of opportunity rules still apply against the moving character from the enemy in the adjacent square. Just because the Character standing in the square is there doesn't mean the moving character gets a free ride.

2) if the player is in ranged combat?
It doesn't affect either Character at all (unless he is in "Ranger" combat, in which case situation #1 above applies :)

3) if the player casted a ranged spell?

Again, doesn't do a darned thing to either one. a 5' x 5' square is pretty large - two people could easily stand in it, or run past each other in it, even in full gear.

By the rules, a friendly character can move through another friendly's square with no problem - they just can't stay in it.

dcollins

Explorer
PH p. 130: "Friendly Creature: You can move through an area occupied by a friendly character." No penalty of any sort is specified.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I apply no penalty for moving through a (friendly) occupied space. If, at the end of your movement, you and your ally both occupy the same space, I apply a -2 to all attacks and AC until you get out of each other's way.

Old One

First Post
Movement in Combat...

I do the following...

(1) Moving through a friendly-occupied non-threatened square - No Restrictions.

(2) Moving through a friendly-occupied threatened square - AoO rules apply plus make DC 5 DEX check (+1 for each additional enemy threatening square), failure results in falling down. Rationale is that the combatent in the space is going to be weaving and ducking, making movement through the space hazardous.

Old One

Remove ads