D&D 5E Multiclass Wizard/Cleric

Am I crazy or do Wizard/Clerics get access to all Cleric spells for which they have spell slots and can also learn any 2 wizard spells of any level for which they have slots when attaining a level of Wizard?

I know that you look at the multiclass table for spell slots and individual classes for spells known, which normally results in higher spell slots for which you do not know spells, so you have to cast lower spells in the higher slots. But wizard/cleric seems to be an exception because of how their "spells known" work.

Highest level spells known is still based on a levels in each individual class. That means a Wizard 4/Cleric 5 will have 5th level spell slots but will only be able to learn/prepare upto 2nd level wizard spells and prepare upto 3rd level cleric spells. There may be clarification on this somewhere such as sage advice or the PHB errata.

Can you quote the PHB on that? Because I just read it and I think that if you follow RAW that is not right. I know that is conventional wisdom, but I am looking for something concrete.

Illithidbix

Explorer
It's in the Spells Known and Prepared and Spell Slots section of page 164 of the PHB.
"You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually as if you were a single class member of that class."

The language is made clearer by their example of the Ranger 4/Wizard 3, who is effectively a 5th level spell caster but does not have any third level spells in their spell book, only two 2nd level spells.

LightningArrow

First Post
Two levels on the Knowledge Domain are thematically appropriate and worth it; two languages, two skills with their proficiency bonus doubled (Arcana included), and the ability to be proficient with any skill or tool for 10 minutes? Sign me up.

Stuntman

First Post
I'm currently playing a cleric/wizard. I start off as a cleric with light domain. Then I took 2 levels of wizard school of evocation. Then I plan on advancing in cleric until at least level 5. The 2 levels of wizard gives me more cantrips for different situations, find familiar which allows me to cast cure wounds by sending my familiar there and sculpt spells which helps my domain spells which mostly are evocation spells.

The down side is that you have both Wis and Int as primary stats. Also, you get higher spells more slowly. The cleric/wizard multiclass is one I always liked. I don't think it's the best build, but I think it's cool. It won't have the raw power, but at least it has some value in its versatility.

Remove ads