D&D 5E Multiclass Wizard/Cleric

Mercule

Adventurer
1 level of cleric is pretty good for a wizard as well.

armor and shields, as well as a several good spells like bless and guidance.
Don't forget that cure wounds scales with spell slot used, so a Cleric 1/Wizard 19 can still use a 9th level slot to cure quite a nice chunk of damage. Sure, you don't have all the other Cleric toys, but 9d8 worth of healing doesn't suck.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
a possible issue with any cleric/X build is that roleplaying wise, the clerical aspect (loyal follower of god(ess)(es) X) tends to dominate, even if you only took a small dip in cleric.

Stuntman

First Post
a possible issue with any cleric/X build is that roleplaying wise, the clerical aspect (loyal follower of god(ess)(es) X) tends to dominate, even if you only took a small dip in cleric.

One cleric/wizard build I had in mind was a cleric of Oghma (knowledge)/wizard (divination) with the sage background. I thought it all fits well together with my character's thirst for knowledge.

spectacle

First Post
Depends on how you angle it. Maybe you're not really a devout follower, you've just learned how to word your prayers to get your god to actually answer them.

Quartz

Hero
If you're purely interested in the spellcasting side, I've got a pair of feats in the feat database that are right up your street.

Koren

Explorer
Depends on how you angle it. Maybe you're not really a devout follower, you've just learned how to word your prayers to get your god to actually answer them.

High-int, high-wis character "games" the deity-granted powers system for their clerical abilities. I love the idea. And so meta.

I like the idea of a cleric/abjurer multiclass. Abjurer brings the defense, cleric the melee capabilities, and the added abjuration spells from cleric mean more recharging for your arcane ward. Aid especially seems like a very handy spell for that purpose, as a scalable, non-concentration group buff.

Illithidbix

Explorer
"Arcane" and "Divine" spells aren't a thing in 5e. How are you defining the terms?
Whether it appears on the Wizard or Cleric spell list?
Where do classes like Warlock and Bard fall in your definitions?

Well.... Arcane vs Divine magic is defined on that sidebar on page 205 of the 5E PHB.

But practically to my knowledge you're right. There are no rules that come off Divine vs Arcane magic.
I believe some magic items care what *class* you are, but not what power source.

Personally I think 5E does a good job describing the different classes magic as quite different (even if mechanically they're pretty similar) and prefer not grouping them into the binary categories so that a Paladin's power is not intrinsically closer to that of a Druid than a Bard is.

Remove ads