• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Multiclassing ability score prerequisites—required for balance or an unnecessary hurdle?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Um...with a high Dex, your paladin could multiclass out into fighter right away (which is the most likely narrative given your hypothetical). Less narratively coherent, he could also multiclass to rogue or monk. Likely sorcerer, bard, and warlock too, given he probably has decent Charisma. I don't see anything stopping your paladin multiclass.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Um...with a high Dex, your paladin could multiclass out into fighter right away (which is the most likely narrative given your hypothetical). Less narratively coherent, he could also multiclass to rogue or monk. Likely sorcerer, bard, and warlock too, given he probably has decent Charisma. I don't see anything stopping your paladin multiclass.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

The rules don't allow you to multiclass out of paladin unless you fulfill its multiclass prerreqs. It doesn't matter how many classes you qualify for if you are not allowed to leave your current class.

Mephista

Adventurer
. But the problem with the background is that background is stuff you don't get to play. It is there, in the past.
I've done flashback games, so that's not entirely true. And, even without flashbacks, the background does inform story going forwards in many games, so its still important, and still informs play.
Now the example given wasn't "Wizard academy reject that turned to something else" as a character concept,
Yes, it was. The example is specifically about leaving the field for a new one. Why else describe it as quitting an engineering job and going into sales?

it was a case of "My character is not entirely conventional and cannot ever stop taking levels in the same class regardless of what happens in game". Let's try with something else, how about a dex paladin with low strength? One played by a thespian that barely ever speaks out of character? Now something happens in game that makes it natural for the paladin to shift paths -maybe the order did something unspeakable, maybe the god was evil all along, maybe someone dear by the paladin had to be sacrificed for grater good- whatever it is, it makes zero sense for the paladin to remain a paladin and keep getting good at being a paladin.
Okay, now I agree that the Strength requirement for paladins is a bit unusual, in that the game is assuming the paladin is a Strength based class, and you won't see Dex-dins. You see it here and there in the rules. I can see arguments for either Dex/Str 13 as well as Cha 13. But there should be some innate melee skill involved here to fulfill that intent. What's being suggested, instead, is something that doesn't even come close to fitting the intent. Not a renegade, not a variation, someone that is very deliberately built to suck at their original class. To use your paladin example, it would be a hardy, highly intelligent, highly observational paladin with no social talent or skill at arms trying to multi-class with wizard.

Also, lets touch on the paladin thing losing touch with their order or god or whatever. Paladins are bound by their Oaths, not an order or a god. Even if the oath is to a god, you can simply find a new god. These Oaths can be entirely personal, so there's nothing to be bonded to. As such, even an Oath of the Crown can continue the same oath while seeking to replace the current tyrants or whatever with "the true ruler." Even failing all that, paladins leaving their Oath is handled by swapping their subclass. Generally to Oathbreaker or a different "fallen paladin" archetype (wasn't there another in the UA articles?), but to other Oaths are also possible.

But lets say that there's a paladin who's Oaths rely on gods like a cleric, and decided to quit all gods. By all rights, the paladin should be losing ALL their auras and smites and everything. But... they're not. The game assumes that they're going to carry on with access to all this stuff they got before. There's no mechanics for losing levels or leaving a class. You're always going to be a paladin, barring house rules.

But what now? It might take 8 levels for the paladin to gain enough strength to be allowed to multiclass out, and the campaign doesn't even lasts that long. Oh but Powergamer mcMunchkin planed a powerful paladin combo from first level up and he can liberally take levels in as many classes as he wants/needs for his toon with zero personality and is always metagamed.
You didn't actually answer my most important point, and the whole reason I find this argument to be trash:

WHY did you make a paladin without any martial ability or charisma? That's the real issue I have with this argument. Why did this paladin exist in the first place? Why would you make a wizard that has practically +0 in their main stat to begin with? That's where I'm extremely suspicious of this entire argument from the word go. Its assuming you have sub-standard ability in a class, whcih to me, is a very strong suggestion that the only reason you have such sub-standard ability is because you planned to have a character with such for power gaming reasons. Admittedly, there is some weirdness with Dex and Str, especially when I consider dex-paladins/barbarians and str-rogues/rangers to be common enough existances. But when the original example I was quoting was a wizard with a focus on one stat and a lack of reason to ever have a low Int? There's no finesse-weapon flexibility going on at all, unlike Str/Dex.

So, why is there a PC wizard with a Int of 12 and below after all the possible races with an Int boost? I have yet to hear a good answer that doesn't involve "planning on multiclassing" from character creation. As such, this entire argument reeks of after-the-fact justification. People are trying to make arguments for someone that happens to run into another class as part of the natural character progression. I find it very suspicious that a "natural character progression" would have such a dumb wizard in the first place.

And Mephista, do you have any quote from Mearls, Crawford, et al., that supports this thing about Multiclassing in 5e being meant for dips and not for hybrids and path changing? Because traditionally it has been that, dualclassing meant there was no turn back, Ad&D multiclassing was hybridizing , and in 3e monk and paladin were explicitly changing paths without the chance for return.
I don't save links, but there's enough perponderance of evidence around that its enough for casual conversation.

5e multi-classing is based on part of 3e multi-class rules (which included prestige classes); ad&d 's multiclassing was to level two classes up at the same time, which has zero bearing on the current ruleset. As such, you can't just make complete comparisons to previous editions, given that hybridization has been clearly designed into subclasses, given the examples of said hybridized subclasses. Previous edition multiclassing is so vastly different from 5e's, that direct comparisons are meaningless. As well, 5e classes are built upon the idea of achieving certain tiers and milestone abilities - multiclass is designed to delay reaching those milestones and put you beind the projected curve.

Simply put, the game is designed to reach certain powers and abilities at certain levels. If you don't, your character stops being able to face the challenges your party faces. Delaying a level or two doesn't hurt as much, or swapping out after getting milestone abilities and quitting the game before the next milestone works, but in terms of hybridization? Its unviable - an evoker 4/life cleric 4 is going to have a hard time doing anything compared to an arcane cleric 8. The character suffers massively, and for many people, that undermines the fun of the game. This also applies to carreer changes - the abilities of low levels in classes aren't going to provide you with the necessary tools to keep up with the challenges faced by the troupe.

This is just how the game is designed, and the assumptions built in. There's a reason why multi-classing is an optional, advanced feature, because, if done poorly, it can make a character unable to meet with the challenges the game provides and assumes.

MoonSong

I've done flashback games, so that's not entirely true. And, even without flashbacks, the background does inform story going forwards in many games, so its still important, and still informs play.
Yes, it was. The example is specifically about leaving the field for a new one. Why else describe it as quitting an engineering job and going into sales?
What I meant is this isn't a character concept you conceive right away at character creation, this is something that arises naturally during play.

Okay, now I agree that the Strength requirement for paladins is a bit unusual, in that the game is assuming the paladin is a Strength based class, and you won't see Dex-dins. You see it here and there in the rules. I can see arguments for either Dex/Str 13 as well as Cha 13. But there should be some innate melee skill involved here to fulfill that intent. What's being suggested, instead, is something that doesn't even come close to fitting the intent. Not a renegade, not a variation, someone that is very deliberately built to suck at their original class. To use your paladin example, it would be a hardy, highly intelligent, highly observational paladin with no social talent or skill at arms trying to multi-class with wizard.

You didn't actually answer my most important point, and the whole reason I find this argument to be trash:

WHY did you make a paladin without any martial ability or charisma? That's the real issue I have with this argument. Why did this paladin exist in the first place? Why would you make a wizard that has practically +0 in their main stat to begin with? That's where I'm extremely suspicious of this entire argument from the word go. Its assuming you have sub-standard ability in a class, whcih to me, is a very strong suggestion that the only reason you have such sub-standard ability is because you planned to have a character with such for power gaming reasons. Admittedly, there is some weirdness with Dex and Str, especially when I consider dex-paladins/barbarians and str-rogues/rangers to be common enough existances. But when the original example I was quoting was a wizard with a focus on one stat and a lack of reason to ever have a low Int? There's no finesse-weapon flexibility going on at all, unlike Str/Dex.
I didn't use the wizard example, I just don't play wizards, don't like the class, don't get the class, don't understand the class or the players that play the class. That is why I brought up a different example I could find more grounded and based on personal experience. Notice that tanking strength while still having tons of Dex as a paladin still counts as martial ability, I didn't mention lacking charisma, just not enough strength to be allowed to multiclass.

Besides, I had a quite viable paladin that had zero combat ability -on 4e, but I think something similar could be done on 5e -, I never plan far ahead when I make a character, I just go for a basic idea and a personality and run from there.

So, why is there a PC wizard with a Int of 12 and below after all the possible races with an Int boost? I have yet to hear a good answer that doesn't involve "planning on multiclassing" from character creation. As such, this entire argument reeks of after-the-fact justification. People are trying to make arguments for someone that happens to run into another class as part of the natural character progression. I find it very suspicious that a "natural character progression" would have such a dumb wizard in the first place.
Like I said I don't know, never played a wizard, don't plan to ever do it. I do go for unusual characters like all the time, because I'm me, I don't really know how to optimize and I like all of the scores to really line up with the character I'm playing, if my character is meant to be dumb then it makes no sense that she has Int 20, if she is weak, then she'd rather be actually weak instead of having superhuman strength.

But let's go for a more natural example a simple assassin rogue, high cha, high dex, low str, low wis (again it makes no sense to me to roleplay a low wis character while enjoying the benefits of a high wisdwisdom, it feels like cheating) This character won't ever be able to join a divine class should she find religion, nor she'll be able to join the rangers if she gets the call of the wild. But take a rogue designed from first level up and that one can basically muticlass into any desired class, even if roleplayed in name only.

Mephista

Adventurer
I didn't use the wizard example, I just don't play wizards, don't like the class, don't get the class, don't understand the class or the players that play the class.
However, others have used it as an example, and its what I was specifically talking about when you responded to me. You can't try and change the goal posts.

Now, as I said, I think that Str/Dex should be easily flippable in this situation, no matter the class. But that's the kind of a situation that's easily fixed without tossing out all stats. If that was the only problem, then its trivally easy to fix without throwing out the whole rule set.

Besides, I had a quite viable paladin that had zero combat ability -on 4e, but I think something similar could be done on 5e
Ehh.. that's kind of disingenuous. The 4e paladin can run entirely off Charisma if you build it right, including swinging a sword; you basically have CHA-finesse. There's nothing equivalent in 5e, and trying to suggest that the two are equal is misleading.

And, while on the matter? While something similar looks doable with a high Charisma and running Oath of Devotion, using Channel Divinity? Too many times you ran out of uses and became unable to contribute to combat without a solid Dex or Str score. Its been tried before, and while it looks good on paper, it just doesn't work unless your GM is very generous with short rests after every single combat.

I never plan far ahead when I make a character, I just go for a basic idea and a personality and run from there.
So, forget the DEX/STR tweaks; that's a function of finesse weapons, and easily fixable in another manner. Have you ever had a character without decent stats in their main? A warlock, sorcerer or bard without Charisma. A Fighter without decent levels in a physical stat. Barbarian without good Strength or Stamina. And so on. Because that's the argument going on here.

Your paladin is not a good example for throwing out the stat requirements.

MoonSong

However, others have used it as an example, and its what I was specifically talking about when you responded to me. You can't try and change the goal posts.

Wasn't trying to change the goal posts, just switching to an example that I could defend from experience.

Ehh.. that's kind of disingenuous. The 4e paladin can run entirely off Charisma if you build it right, including swinging a sword; you basically have CHA-finesse. There's nothing equivalent in 5e, and trying to suggest that the two are equal is misleading.
When I say she lacked melee ability I mean it, and I was not using Cha-finesse as a workaround, she truly sucked at melee.

So, forget the DEX/STR tweaks; that's a function of finesse weapons, and easily fixable in another manner. Have you ever had a character without decent stats in their main?
In order

A warlock, sorcerer or bard without Charisma.
Yes, dual wield daggers / go crossbow as your contribution to combat.If you can gain proficiency on real weapons go for a strength PC. Use spells for utility, spam quickened true strike. More doable in 5e.

A Fighter without decent levels in a physical stat.
If I started at third, I could see myself attempting this for a battlemaster or EK.

Barbarian without good Strength or Stamina.
Without Con yes, and would do it with Dexterity instead, but rage just doesn't work.

Your paladin is not a good example for throwing out the stat requirements.
But the rogue assassin?

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
@Blue , @Mephista, I don't share [MENTION=5890]Saeviomagy[/MENTION]'s view on that background doesn't matter. But the problem with the background is that background is stuff you don't get to play.

This was basically my point. If it's not played out, then there's good odds are you're the only player at the table who even reads your background. And if your "failed wizard" background is down to the arcana skill? I think you're going to be reaching for it to make an impact.

Can we fix that by changing the rules? Yes. And the most straightforward rule change is to remove one that doesn't serve a positive benefit.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The example about swapping from engineering to sales is nothing more than a red herring, because its ignoring that, for this comparison to hold true, you'd somehow need to use engineering skills to work with your sales skills. Generally speaking, engineering and sales don't use the same skills sets, while a wizard-turned-rogue will still be using wizard skills in their "job."
Knowing about what you're selling, and being in the same circles as your target market are both incredibly potent assets for a salesman. Sure, if you give up engineering and take up a job as a sales clerk in a fashion house you....

will probably still end up fixing the POS system, or a door, or lifting something with a lever or....

Yeah - having the skills of an engineer (even if they're not professional grade) will still come up if you work sales. Just like salesmanship will come up if you swapped to being an engineer (you still need to convince people that your solution is good).

I'm hard pressed to imagine two jobs that are so disparate than they will never have any overlap.

Last edited:

Kalshane

First Post
I'd think a "failed wizard" with low Intelligence would easily be handled with the Sage background and maybe the Magic Initiate feat. I'm not sure why a full class level (or more) is needed to represent something a character tried to do and discovered he was really bad at.

As for the paladin whose entire worldview was shattered, that would be a situation where the DM would work with the player to determine what (if any) effects it would have on the character mechanically and how the character would progress going forward.

It's easy enough to take just about any rule in the book and come up with a situation where it doesn't "make sense", which is the whole reason the game involves a DM to make rulings in those situations.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd think a "failed wizard" with low Intelligence would easily be handled with the Sage background and maybe the Magic Initiate feat. I'm not sure why a full class level (or more) is needed to represent something a character tried to do and discovered he was really bad at.

As for the paladin whose entire worldview was shattered, that would be a situation where the DM would work with the player to determine what (if any) effects it would have on the character mechanically and how the character would progress going forward.

It's easy enough to take just about any rule in the book and come up with a situation where it doesn't "make sense", which is the whole reason the game involves a DM to make rulings in those situations.
Any example character could be explained another way. But what's the rationale for preserving the restrictions? The only one I'm seeing that makes sense is deterring powergamers (who are bad at powergaming!). The various reason invoking verisimilitude simply don't hold water, while I can see a rationale for needing natural talent to start a new class, needing natural talent to stop pursuing the class makes no sense.

Realistically, the rule feels like what it is, something added to the game late in the development process to curb possible abuses, without considering what those abuses might be. I would advocate for ignoring them to become a generally assumed house rule.

Remove ads