D&D 5E Multiple reactions replacing Legendary Actions?!

dave2008

Legend
I think a legendary monster should just have two bonus reactions, and that it should have more then one turn in a given round (thus removing the need for legendary resistance).
How would having 2 or more turns remove the need for Legendary Resistances, or did you mean Legendary Actions?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
How would having 2 or more turns remove the need for Legendary Resistances, or did you mean Legendary Actions?
To circle back to the OP, my players do not have an issue with Legendary action and I do not see a big difference in changing that to reactions but they do have an issue with legendary save. Now I see legendary saves as necessary to make the monster a threat I also see the point that from the perspective of the player imposing the condition legendary saves suck.
I would live to see an alternative mechanic for managing the same thing. Perhaps something that imposes a cost to using the legendary save.

dave2008

Legend
To circle back to the OP, my players do not have an issue with Legendary action and I do not see a big difference in changing that to reactions but they do have an issue with legendary save. Now I see legendary saves as necessary to make the monster a threat I also see the point that from the perspective of the player imposing the condition legendary saves suck.
I would live to see an alternative mechanic for managing the same thing. Perhaps something that imposes a cost to using the legendary save.
I think LevelUp has a good replacement for legendary resistance: Elite Recovery. I have come up with a few versions of the concept myself, but ultimately I have kind of standardized on Elite Recovery. I also simple give them the appropriate saving throw proficiencies as well. I do think WotC is changing the wrong Legendary marker.

Elite Recovery as a Legendary Action:
Elite Recovery. The dragon ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.

Elite Recovery as a Trait:
Elite Recovery. At the end of each of its turns while bloodied, the pit fiend ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated .

Of course LevelUp also gives monsters Legendary Resistance, so maybe they don't see it the same way!

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I think LevelUp has a good replacement for legendary resistance: Elite Recovery. I have come up with a few versions of the concept myself, but ultimately I have kind of standardized on Elite Recovery. I also simple give them the appropriate saving throw proficiencies as well. I do think WotC is changing the wrong Legendary marker.

Elite Recovery as a Legendary Action:
Elite Recovery. The dragon ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated.

Elite Recovery as a Trait:
Elite Recovery. At the end of each of its turns while bloodied, the pit fiend ends one negative effect currently affecting it. It can do so as long as it has at least 1 hit point, even while unconscious or incapacitated .

Of course LevelUp also gives monsters Legendary Resistance, so maybe they don't see it the same way!
Interesting, I also thing that it should be mixed up, some monsters should have legendary resistance and actions, others resistance and reactions, reactions and condition recovery and so on.

MarkB

Legend
The problem with legendary resistance is that the mechanics don't match the narrative. Narratively it's the monster shaking off something that would have crippled a lesser being, but mechanically it's just ticking down a clock until the spellcasters can start having fun.

Resisting a debilitating effect should cost the monster something tangible. Maybe give it disadvantage on an attack or two, or give its opponents advantage on their saves against its effects, to represent it having to concentrate on defence at the expense of attack.

Stalker0

Legend
The risk mostly comes in a monster spending all those actions targeting the same PC and acting many times before the PCs get to react.
How you smooth it out is like this:

Secondary Assault: The monster gets another full round, on Initiative - 10.

So you ensure its spread out a bit.

Stalker0

Legend
The problem with legendary resistance is that the mechanics don't match the narrative. Narratively it's the monster shaking off something that would have crippled a lesser being, but mechanically it's just ticking down a clock until the spellcasters can start having fun.

Resisting a debilitating effect should cost the monster something tangible. Maybe give it disadvantage on an attack or two, or give its opponents advantage on their saves against its effects, to represent it having to concentrate on defence at the expense of attack.
to me the number 1 issue with Legendary resistance is that its impact is massively changed with the number of casters in the party.

If you have 1 caster in the group, LR is crippling. It might take you 3 rounds to burn through them, and by that time the fight is over, you have wasted 3 spells doing nothing.

But you have 4 casters in a group, and they can blow through LR in 1 round, and now the monster just dies to control.

The second problem is that its boring as hell for the casters.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
to me the number 1 issue with Legendary resistance is that its impact is massively changed with the number of casters in the party.

If you have 1 caster in the group, LR is crippling. It might take you 3 rounds to burn through them, and by that time the fight is over, you have wasted 3 spells doing nothing.

But you have 4 casters in a group, and they can blow through LR in 1 round, and now the monster just dies to control.

So how do you make the creature not die to control then? What's the alternative?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

How different is this, really, from ablating through a monster's hit points before you finally land a killing blow (other than scale)? In both cases, it's taking actions to whittle something down while the monster is largely unhindered. And in both cases, if mobbed by a bunch of attacks - either legendary resistance ablating spells or hit point ablating attacks - the monster goes down fast.

Remove ads