[Mutant Future]Welcome to Slimy Lake! (OOC)

GlassEye

Adventurer
I would like a mutant animal. Exact type undecided though if you have input on the possibilities I'm considering that would be great. So far I'm considering an armadillo, a fox, or a giant slug.

Here is the link to my rolls for the character so far. So, that would be two physical mutations and three mental mutations. Starting with the physical and going down the line I would end up with:
Physical
-Albinism (drawback)
-Increased physical attribute (Strength)
Mental
-Acute Hyper Healing
-Atrophied Cerebellum (drawback)
-Teleport

[sblock=Stats] First set of stats rolled = 3d6=13, 3d6=3, 3d6=11, 3d6=9, 3d6=12, 3d6=13
First set of stats rolled that didn't have a net negative modifier = 3d6=12, 3d6=16, 3d6=8, 3d6=10, 3d6=10, 3d6=17
Grub is currently calculated with the first set. Grub is now calculated using the second set of stats (Thanks, ML).[/sblock]
Gold = 3d8=6 = 60 gold.
hit points = 16d6=56
natural attack(claw) damage = 1d6=1 = 1d4

[sblock]GRUB
Lawful mutant animal (Armadillo)
Level 1; XP 0

STATISTICS
Strength 17
-- +2 to hit, damage, & forcing doors
Dexterity 10 (12 -2M)
Constitution 16
Intelligence 8 (10 -2M)
-- -5% technology roll modifier
Willpower 10
Charisma 8
-- +1 reaction adjustment; 3 retainers; 6 morale (retainers)

COMBAT STATS
HP 56
AC 6
Attacks*
-Quarterstaff +2 (1d6+2)
-Claw +2 (1d4+2)
-Sling +0 (1d4)
*+3d6 damage with hand-to-hand weapons
*-2 to hit during daylight

MUTATIONS
Physical
Albinism (drawback)
-- -2 to hit during daylight
Increased physical attribute (Strength)
-- +3d6 damage with hand-to-hand weapons
Mental
Acute Hyper Healing
1/week: heal at 4x normal rate & pain and fatigue free for 24 hours
Atrophied Cerebellum (drawback)
-- -2 to Dexterity and Intelligence
Teleport
-- may teleport up to 20 miles distant; modifiers based on familiarity

GEAR
Quarterstaff (2g; 4lbs.)
Sling +10 stones (2g; 5lbs.)
Studded leather armor (30g; 20lbs.)
Backpack (2g; 2lbs.)
-Spyglass (15g; 1lb.)
-Bedroll (1s; 5lbs.)
-5 days trail rations (25s; 5lbs.)
-waterskin (1g; 4lbs.)
Shovel (2g; 8lbs.)
Encumbrance 54lbs.
3 gold; 4 silver

DESCRIPTION
Grub is shorter than the average human but very bulky. Despite being from armadillo stock Grub is semi-upright and somewhat humanoid though his body structure gives him a very hunch-backed appearance. He is an albino and the thick bands of knobby skin covering his back are covered with patches of spiky white hair. His arms and legs are stubby and the thick fingers of his hands have long, tough, claw-like nails. Since his skin and eyes are so sensitive to the sun Grub wears a large hooded robe and strips of leather tied around his face with thin slits to protect his eyes yet still leave him able to see. Despite having claws capable of use in combat, Grub prefers to carry a long rusty pipe for use as a quarterstaff. One end of the staff has a couple of holes and Grub likes to whirl the weapon over his head so that it makes a combined moaning and whistling sound.

BACKGROUND
Grub! Grub!
Grub isn't the brightest creature and he doesn't have much, if any, formal learning but he knows what he likes. He likes grubs. He likes his pipe-staff and he really likes the sound that it makes when he whirls it around over his head. Even though he has a hard time using it, his prized possession is an ancient spyglass that he keeps carefully stored in his pack. He likes it when people laugh at funnies because it makes him laugh too. He doesn't like it when villagers throw rocks at him because he's different. The last time that happened he decided it was wrong and he left the village with a couple of other mutants disliked by the locals. The others talked about Slimy Lake. He didn't really care about the 'treasure' they talked about but he thought it might be nice if they found some money. Now that they've arrived, it looks like a good place for grubs!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Alvordian

First Post
The prospect of an albino armadillo man seems nice although the slu would definately be interesting. You also choose a natural weapon for a animal. I assume armadillo would be claws, but Im not sure what slug would be-perhaps a short vestigial blobby, clubby tail?

Vertexx69

First Post
I took a stab at the mutant plant concept and rolled up Deathvine the flying empath that is deadly to the touch.

I rolled the stats 3 times as the first 2 were unplayable.
the first d6 is for mutations.

My mutations shaped up like this as I went strait down the line (physical/mental/plant):

Improved Sense (Smell)
Energy Retaining Cell Structure
Complete Wing Development
Phobia (Vehicles)
Empathy
Ability Boost
Dermal Poison Sap (Class 13)
Thermal Sensitivity (Cold)

I rerolled 2 of the mutations as I originally got empathy twice and animate seeds (though I'd gladly keep the seeds instead of getting thermal sensitivity, the worst drawback of the plant mutations.) I then went strait down the mutations rolling their specifics.

I was thinking of a mass of vines, all emmanating from a small central pod, that can compress its form into a roughly humanoid shape, that it then twines loosley in a long strip of black cloth. Several of the vines have a viscous membrane between them that form the being's wings. Among the vines are several sensory organs of various types including at least 2 "eyes", a nose and mouth that it maneuvers to the facial region when feigning humanoid form. Deathvine embodies the true neutrality of nature, not recognizing concepts like good or evil.

I have a couple technical questions with this system though:

How would a touch attack be handled.
How are we handling HP (roll, average=3.5 per HD, 3/4=4.5 etc.)?
How are multiple attacks handled with PCs?

Last edited:

Alvordian

First Post
Welcome Vertexx.

The plant idea looks good to me. Your mutatons as listed now look good to me- a good mix poison and wings! To answer your questiions:

There is no touch attack per se. With the poison mutation, if the mutant is attacked in melee(not by a weapon but by a bare handed attack or monsters natural weapon) or physically attacks an opponent(again not with a weapon) the poison is triggered. Its a somewhat simpler and straightforward mechanic, and a powerful mutation.

HP would be a straight roll, in the plants case roll a d6 as many times equal to your CON score.

With multiple attacks there really arent any for PCs unless given by a mutation, or by a weapon, like an automatic rifle.

I do have a question in regards to your attributes. Did you roll 3d6 for each attribut, ie 6 for STR, 6 for CON, etc.. I'm sorry if I was unclear, But I simply meant roll 3d6 six times and then assign those six to whichever stat you wish.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Shayuri

First Post
HMMMM

I used to love Gamma World...the theory of it, if not always the actual gameplay. :)

Always up for a good mutant. Probably a humanoid mutant or an android. Need to give these rules a gander first...

Alvordian

First Post
Shayuri- I know what you mean about theory vs practice. Hopefully we can do a bit better :)

That seems to be four who have at least expressed interest to look at the rules..we might have a quorum...

Vertexx69

First Post
For the touch attack I was thinking along the lines of just flying through enemy spaces (since there are no Attacks of Opportunity in this system), dragging my vines over them to discharge both my poison and electricity on anything I touch (like a jellyfish's tentacles). Making them die, or saving and taking 5d6 dmg (3d6 electricity and 2d6 poison).

- sub question: would the "swooping attack" let my mutations do double dmg as well, or would that just be double "weapon" dmg?

I had a question about poison as well.
Does it work on robots at all? Using real world examples like some of the more potent snake venoms, are a viralent enzyme that rapidly destroys tissues to aid in digestion, or a neurotoxin that paralyzes the nervous system. I would think any of the "death" class poisons would effect robotic organisms like an acid.

Does Empathy work on robots? Its a mental attack, but if they are just running programs how would it apply?

My set of stats are 9, 10, 12, 12, 15, 17. I am just waiting to get the attack questions cleared up before I decide if I need a high strength to hit or not, as I only have 2 stats with positive modifiers.

Alvordian

First Post
Vertexx

Let's see-

For an attack that you describe, a regular attack roll would be required, as there are no touch attacks.

As an aside I could see where no attack would be needed. For example if your character sucessfuly snuck up on a sleeping Pigman sentry, he could simply touch the Pigman as an action to adminster the poison. Even if the guard wasn't asleep but simply distracted or bored and motionless, no attack would be necessary if you could get close enough.

A swoop attack, like a charge, would do double melee damage, not mutation damage-in this case poison.

Poison would work on say replicant androids as they are organic. It would not work on synthetics or basic androids, or on most of the robot/cyborgs in the monster section unless otherwise stated.

Empathy is a bit of a gray area. It would I guess depend on the robot/android. It is assumed that most robots/androids are just running programs and have no real emotions. So Empathy for the most part wouldn't work. Although it would never hurt to try-there may be advanced androids running about with emotions.

An interesting side note would be Combat Empathy which refers to body language..one could argue that that mutation could work on robot types.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
then deathvine's phobia of "other technology" is perfect for it as 2 of its 3 attacks don't work on tech.

Alrighty then Deathvine's stats are looking like:

Str 17
Dex 12
Con 12
Int 10
Wis 15
Cha 9

HP=35

Remove ads