• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Mutant Future]Welcome to Slimy Lake! (OOC)

Alvordian

First Post
Glasseye- It wouldn't necessarily be cheating to dump the 3 into Int. I could be a ratbastard and have your mod be at -4, but I won't. However, RP considerations aside, your PC would be at a fairly big disadvantage in trying out how to figure any tech that came along. For your character idea CHA might be a good dump stat. That said, it makes no difference to me.

Vertexx-

1. The use of the trample would be subjective and perhaps situational I guess. Given thats theres nothing to suggest Deathvine has enormous bulk or size I would still say that in most cases it would be a regular attack.

2. Deathvine can "eat" from photosynthesis if you wish. This is a two edged sword however if you are kept from sunlight for any given amount of time. He would still have to take water to survive as well. I leave this decision re the food to you, but he would have to either eat or depend on photosynthesis.

3. I have no problem with the scyhte and am not going to quibble over 5 pounds here and there with starting equipment.

4. No bonus rolls.PCs begin at level 1.

5. A certain state like dermal posion sap does not grant an immunity unless you have it with your race or mutation. The plant poison you have is assumed to be unique; monsters are under the same limitations, mostly.

6. The abilty boost doesnt make sense only if you limit it to str and attack. For some PCs they may have a low str and doubling may not help for attack. And in many cases you may wish to double another stat like int for purposes of figuring out a piece of tech, or cha to be more diplomatic.

Also, the dermal sap and electrical attacks only work when you make bare contact with another creature not with a weapon. I like the Grim Reaper vibe, too.

Il look over your PCs in the next day and then we'll get going..looking good so far everyone!

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
After reading the sample combat, I am so dead anyways with the most basic creatures being able to dole out 20 dmg each round.

How come I couldn't apply my poison to my weapon? Its a sap, so smearing my weapon across my body should be able to coat the scythe easily (Applying poison to a weapon is one the most basic of rpg strategies there is). And if my vines (hands) are electrified why wouldn't the electricity be able to travel down a metal weapon (while both attacking and taking attacks with metal melee weapons)? If you were to tap a sword to a powerline, even if only holding a leather grip you would still get shocked as the weapon is like a lightning rod pointed at your chest. My dad worked electrical and saw a guy wearing rubber gloves touch a metal pole to a power line accidentally. It blew a hole through his stomach the size of a grapefruit even though the pole was touching the ground.

I'm trying to figure out a way to either effectively use a touch attack or use my powers through a weapon, so my powers can actually be effective in combat. Walking down a crowded sidewalk (New York for example) you bump shoulders with almost everyone you pass (whos space you pass through). Your not making attacks but if you were shuffling your feet you would still shock them with static electricity.

Since the system leaves so many questions unanswered, I'm drawing on real world experiences and examples to try and fill in the blank spots in a logical way. If its getting annoying just tell me and I'll stop ;)

The description of mutant plant says to refer to the mutant animal, so could I have a natural attack (vine)? This would solve all the problems as I would then have a base dmg for vine attacks above the 1 of unarmed. My concept is swopping dive attacks considering Deathvine's low hp and AC, but it defeats the purpose if the double dmg is 2, ya know?

I was thinking for its mask, either going with the concept for a skull, or one of those old, porcelin china doll masks that was chipped and faded. I don't know which would be creepier :p

I wanted to wrap a wire around the handle portion of the weapon and around a vine so whenever my Phobia kicks in and I drop my weapon from my "hands", it doesn't go twirling down through the air to shatter on the rocks. It will still take an action to retrieve it once my mind returns but it won't be gone gone (think improvised locking gauntlet from D&D or Ninja Scroll).

Alvordian

First Post
Vertexx- I wouldn't worry about hit points, which I know sounds easy for me to say, but your character is going to ok as far as survivability.

The poision mutation works basically like that of a toad, its primarily a defensive mechanism, but if you touch or attack another creature, or they touch or attack you they'll get poisoned-and your poison could easily dispatch a creature that fails a save. Its a potent mutation and as written I won't combine with another attack.

The electrical discharge is the same and requires a physical contact hand to hand attack, or being touched by another.

As I said those two mutations are primarily defensive, but you alone could end an encounter pretty quickly. Even if you do an ordinary melee attack with the scythe, if you are attacked in melee you would poison one assailant just by them touching you and possibily killing it; if another attacks in the same round you could zap that one- again it wouldn't be as an attack but a purely defensive move if you are hit. In addition you can fly as means of evasion. You have some nice mutations and regardless of your current HP and AC you are pretty formidable.

I like the idea of the scythe being "hung" off the vine, like a sheathed sword essentially.

A porcelein doll face would be creepy.

Alvordian

First Post
Ok we have four characters that seem to be shaping up nicely, if not nearly complete.

Grub, armadillo mutant animal (GlassEye)
Deathvine, mutant plant viney grim reaper (Vertexx69)
Alecto, synthetic android (Shayuri)
Clyde, mutant human (Oni)

I'm awaiting Walking Dad to see if he's still interested. I'll shoot for a Tuesday start of the game unless anyone has objections, so you have till then to polish them.

hero4hire

Explorer
Well If Walking Dad isnt playing I'll round out the team.

SLADE
TTPostBloodGo.jpg

Race: Pure Human
Align: Neutral

STR 10
DEX 17 (AC-2, Missile +2, Init +1)
CON 15
INT 16 (Tech +10%)
WIL 5
CHA 12

HP 72
AC 5
THAC0 19

SAVES
Energy Attacks: 15
Poison or Death: 12
Stun Attacks: 14
Radiation: 13

EQUIPMENT
Heavy Crossbow
Case of 30 Heavy Quarrels
Spear
Leather Armor
Backpack
5 days unpreserved
2 days preserved rations
winter blanket
waterskin
5 sp

Rolls
character abilities (3d6=5, 3d6=17, 3d6=9, 3d6=10, 3d6=13, 3d6=12)
money (3d8=6)
HP (15d8=72)

Last edited:

Alvordian

First Post
hero4hire welcome aboard...wow we actually have a cross section of the races, which has never happened in any game I've played before.

Barring any problems I'll put up the first IC post tomorrow. I'm flexible as to posting frequency, although more is obviously better.

Vertexx69

First Post
Are you saying that even if I do hit with an unarmed attack that I can't use both my poison and electricity at the same time, even though thats how its written in the book? If so I'd like to reroll the electricity for a different beneficial mutation as it is redundant with my poison if they don't work together. (I rolled Gamma Eyes=37that does Class 10 radiation dmg 1d10=10) which gives me a ranged attack that would be very useful.

Did you think about the natural weapon at all?

I have an extra 100gp if anyone needs to borrow some for starting gear.

Can we start with any healing tech stuff like Survival Kits, Medi-spray I, or Stim A shots?

Alvordian

First Post
No I was simply using the poison and electricity routine as an example. You can combine them as you see fit. The poison is always "on" if you will, while the electrical discharge (at least the way I've always interpreted it) can be unleashed when you wish.

Deathvine may want to wear gloves if he needs to give a fellow party member a "hand"... :) although he could perhaps stop secreting it when he's not in battle..just for RPing purposes.

Sorry for the confusion.

No natural weapons, mutant animals are the only ones that gain that.

And no medkits of the like, at least to start.

Did you decide if Deathvine is going to eat conventionally or photosynthesize? You can even have him tap water from the shallow ground if you wish.

Last edited:

Remove ads