• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Big, Fat, Colossal Red Dragon is...

Vocenoctum

First Post
Klaus said:
I did a quick sketch of the size of a Colossal dragon capable of clawing at 20´ away and biting at 30´ away, while remaining within a 30x30 ft. square. As you can see the CRD mini is FAR larger than he´d need to be...

attachment.php

Cool sketch.
I think the Red is bigger, but "within spec" so to speak. Though of course it's an 8X8 base.10.5" front snout to base of neck, body width about 4", 12" tail, 6" long body. (roughly measured with string)
The Draconomicon lists (with converted mini figures in parenthesis)
Body Length: 35' (30')
Body Width: 15' (20')
Necklength: 35' (50')
Tail Length: 50' (60')

So, guys got a longer tail and neck but shorter body, overall length of 140' for the mini vs 120' from Draco. He is a great wyrm though.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Is it just me, or does the CRD not have as many paint steps and details on it as they were tooting their horns about? It's cool and all, i'm just glad I ordered mine online for less than msrp.

No, it has the right number of paint steps. The paint is applied by machine; it is sprayed on through various "masks". Each spray is one step. It's not like the entire thing is just dunked in red paint.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Klaus said:
I did a quick sketch of the size of a Colossal dragon capable of clawing at 20´ away and biting at 30´ away, while remaining within a 30x30 ft. square. As you can see the CRD mini is FAR larger than he´d need to be...

Using the space/reach values doesn't really work that well. Design a huge snake using the values, and there's a big disconnect with how its represented in the game to how it actually would be.

It's interesting to look at the size of the biggest Red Dragon of 2e - body length 180', tail length 165' (or thereabouts). That would make the body 36" long in miniatures scale.

Cheers!

Klaus

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
Cool sketch.
I think the Red is bigger, but "within spec" so to speak. Though of course it's an 8X8 base.10.5" front snout to base of neck, body width about 4", 12" tail, 6" long body. (roughly measured with string)
The Draconomicon lists (with converted mini figures in parenthesis)
Body Length: 35' (30')
Body Width: 15' (20')
Necklength: 35' (50')
Tail Length: 50' (60')

So, guys got a longer tail and neck but shorter body, overall length of 140' for the mini vs 120' from Draco. He is a great wyrm though.
If the dragon can, at most, bite at something 30 feet away, then its neck will be at about 30 feet. If the dragon has a tail sweep of 40 feet, its tail will be about 40 feet long. If it can claw at something 20 feet away without leaving its space, then the forelimbs have to be about 20 feet long. The mini designers cheated to have a bigger dragon.

MerricB -> I'll get back to you on that snake. Gotta take care of the kid now, but a snake sketch it forthcoming. :)

Vocenoctum

First Post
Klaus said:
If the dragon can, at most, bite at something 30 feet away, then its neck will be at about 30 feet. If the dragon has a tail sweep of 40 feet, its tail will be about 40 feet long. If it can claw at something 20 feet away without leaving its space, then the forelimbs have to be about 20 feet long. The mini designers cheated to have a bigger dragon.
Well, it's all an approximation, but the values for size are from Draconomicon. The values for Colossal are a bit hard to reconcile, since they're all "or more", but the basic value is 30' with 20' reach to either side. The dragon occupies/controls a space of 30', but can strike in a square 70' on a side. If you consider the tail slap to be with the meaty part, as opposed to a whip, then the long tail doesn't really mean much.

It'd probably be easier with a smaller figure, since sizes are more defined.

Seonaid

Explorer
I don't have one and I don't plan on buying one (I don't own any minis), but I've seen one up close and personal, and I love it. It's beautiful. :D If I had lots of space and lots of money, I'd consider buying one . . . but probably still wouldn't do it.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I think I'll skip paying for one at my FLGS and just see if I can't rent it instead. :p

Yeah I could see using one (or two!) of these in my Epic Realms Campaign, but then we'd have to go all miniatures-battlish and play right on the tile floor with rulers/tape measures and couches = canyon walls sort of thing, instead of with a plain old battle mat.

Seriously I'd need that much room for any sort of open-air encounter, especially with the Red and its minions flying to-and-fro.

J. Grenemyer

Last edited:

erc1971

Explorer
edbonny said:
TOO BIG! :p

I mean really. This dragon so dwarfs all my other minis. Bringing it out on the table makes the other minis look rather tiny, like specks of dust. Even epic level minis wielding their pin-size swords look ridiculous when moving up for the attack. I should sell it, but I think I love it too much. It does look cool. I'm torn.

What do you think of your big fat colossal red dragon? What do you do with your big fat colossal red dragon? Or what does it do with you.....?

You are right, he is too big! Colossal is 6x6, check the base, it is 8x8

That makes 2 - the Gargantuan Purple Worm is only a Huge mini, grr!!!

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
erc1971 said:
You are right, he is too big! Colossal is 6x6, check the base, it is 8x8
Not quite. Take another look at the table on p149 of the Player's Handbook. Colossal creatures have a Space of 30 ft. or more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads