My pride in my country is no longer there

I know of Jack Daniels from movies, but that's about it.
Ugh... That's like saying you know Coors and Budweiser from movies. Jack Daniels is what college frat boys drink to pretend they are sophisticated. It's terrible stuff.
I don't drink whiskey really, but if I do it's Scottish.
You poor deprived child. If you ever make you way over here, you'll have to join me on a night out.

I've been trying to get a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. It's ridiculously hard to get. Fortunately there are several restaurants around here that carry the stuff.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Isn't vodka used in a lot of mixes and flavored shots?

Then I can understand the massive consumption.

I didn't realize Americans made whiskey. I get all my stuff from Scotland and Japan. Maybe I'll give it a try next time I'm in the whiskey bar.

Reminds me of the joke from Monty Python at the Hollywood Bowl about american beer and making love in a canoe.
(Can't confirm the opinion, as even the few German beers I tried at one point still taste as I imagine carbonated horse urine would).

then there was one woman who insisted that the bar tender make her a rum and diet coke, because she was watching her figure...

delericho

Legend

Yep, that's pretty much it.

I didn't realize Americans made whiskey.

I would have thought Americans made a version of just about anything you care to name. But of course, I also know that if it's a name I've heard of, it's probably crap - the good stuff is out there, but you have to know what you're looking for.

I get all my stuff from Scotland and Japan.

Of course, if it's Scottish it's whisky. :)

Last edited:

Zombie_Babies

First Post
If they would have better taste they would eat less Denny's and other crap.

Ah, but if they were less lazy they would shop for groceries more often and prepare their own, healthy food.

Vodka!? We're overrun with commies!!!

Da, comrade.

Yep. And those show a lack of taste.

I didn't realize Americans made whiskey. I get all my stuff from Scotland and Japan. Maybe I'll give it a try next time I'm in the whiskey bar.

American whiskey and bourbon can be anywhere from as awful as the worst vodka you can name to simply brilliant. I prefer Scotch myself but there are many, many wonderful bourbons from Kentucky that come quite close to holding the same place in my tastebuds. It's a different style to be sure but still has a lot to offer.

My personal drinking experience tells me that vodka in America is mainly in mixed drinks- like the Icepick, Martini, and my own milkshakes- where its lack of flavor is key, while whiskey is usually consumed expressly FOR the flavor it brins to the party, if not actually straight.

And that highlights the key difference between the two alcohols. One is drunk to be tasted and the other prides itself on being tasteless. I have to ask, then, what exactly the point of the latter is. There's a reason it's the preferred booze of many an alcoholic. I think I can leave it at that.

I mean, I've had both straight and on the rocks, and find no point in doing so further with vodka, since I no longer drink just to get drunk. Whiskey, OTOH...

Exactly. I can't imagine sitting outside on a nice spring or summer day with a quality stick and a glass of vodka. Scotch, bourbon or cognac (from France, not the crap we get imported over here), though? Yes please! The only clear liquor I like is Hendrick's gin. It's very flavored and quite refreshing when paired with a little soda and a lime wedge (though you don't need the lime). The tragedy is that a cigar makes it vanish completely. No taste at all - like drinking water. It's far too good for that so I drink it without smoking. A shame but it deserves it.

Remove ads