My pride in my country is no longer there

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I know of Jack Daniels from movies, but that's about it. I don't drink whiskey really, but if I do it's Scottish.

Oh that's sad - both for you and for the American whiskey industry. I'll readily admit you're far more likely to find people knowledgeable about good scotch or Irish whiskey than you are bourbon and rye and that's a shame ... for those that don't get to try them. :D

For the record, Jack Daniels is not considered to be, well, drinkable or even whiskey at all by folks with more than a college level of alcohol education.

What Scotch do you prefer? I'm a Glenmorangie guy right now - Nectar d'Or specifically - but I enjoy The Glenlivet (12, 25 or 15 French Oak reserve) and even The Famous Grouse (not typically a fan of blends or cheap stuff but this one's a winner). I want to get a bottle of Lagavulin but haven't looked around for it yet.

You poor deprived child. If you ever make you way over here, you'll have to join me on a night out.

We should add him to the roster for our class. :D

I've been trying to get a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. It's ridiculously hard to get. Fortunately there are several restaurants around here that carry the stuff.

If you get it tell us how it is. I've had Old Rip and it was awesome so I can only imagine what the Pappy is like.

Bourbon is considered an American invention, according to Americans anyways.

It's just whiskey, more or less. There are many classifications of whiskey - each with their own specific rules that often have legal meaning.

America - whiskey, bourbon and rye
Canadia - whiskey
Ireland - whiskey
Scotland - Scotch whiskey
Japan - Scotch whiskey - however, it's not called this. It's Scotch in everything but name for legal reasons

I'm sure I'm missing quite a few but you get the idea. They're all the same and yet they're all totally different.

I knew a LOT of girls in college who used diet drinks for mixing their personal cocktails.

Which helps somewhat ... unless the mix is rum.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ugh... That's like saying you know Coors and Budweiser from movies. Jack Daniels is what college frat boys drink to pretend they are sophisticated. It's terrible stuff.
You poor deprived child. If you ever make you way over here, you'll have to join me on a night out.

I know about it; I don't drink it. I don't really drink any whisky.

My experience of alcohol in the US is that everyone likes to mix stuff up like small children with crayons. I was brought up with one drink plus one mixer if required; no more than that. The whole cocktail concept is apparently popular with the kids over here these days though, so I guess the trend crossed the Atlantic.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I know about it; I don't drink it. I don't really drink any whisky.

My experience of alcohol in the US is that everyone likes to mix stuff up like small children with crayons. I was brought up with one drink plus one mixer if required; no more than that. The whole cocktail concept is apparently popular with the kids over here these days though, so I guess the trend crossed the Atlantic.

That's sad. Cocktails were invented by people who had no idea how to drink. Bad booze made cocktails, man.

Remove ads