• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystic Theurge Build

melkorspawn

First Post
I was thinking about creating a Favored Soul/2 Warmage/2 Mystic Theurge/x, and I noticed that this isn't a particularly common MT build. Is there something I'm missing?

nittanytbone

First Post
It requires you to go one level higher in each of your base classes than you do with a wiz 3/clr 3 intro. That puts you even further behind in spell progression for both classes.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
melkorspawn said:
But... you can focus your abilities into Cha... which is the main ability for both.

Yup. But at 11th level, when the Clr11 and Wiz11 are casting 6th level spells, the Clr3/Wiz3/MyTh5 is casting 4th/4th level spells, and you're casting 3rd level spells.

At 16th level, the Clr16 has already been casting 8th level spells for an entire level, and you've just reached 6th level spells.

It's not good.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Wiz 3 / Archivist 3 / MyTh X looks promising. The Archivist uses both Wis and Int, but it already gets a decent number of spells per day, so the Wis for bonus spells isn't so crucial. Maxing out Int gives you good DCs for both arcane and divine spells.

-Hyp.

interwyrm

First Post
This is why I am of the opinion that that class should have the requirement "arcane caster level 3rd, divine caster level 3rd".

I think they just hadn't thought of that yet, as the MT is in the DMG and that caster level prereq didn't show up until... complete arcane?

It makes me a sad panda. No mt's with anything but wiz/(cle or drd)

On second thought, I wonder how a more generic class would balance out if you did caster level 3rd in two different classes, and then you get full spellcasting progression in both?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads