• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystic Theurge Build

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No mt's with anything but wiz/(cle or drd)

There are at least 2 other WOTC classes out there that can help you qualify for Mystic Theurge.

Oriental Adventures' Shaman (sort of a Cleric/Monk) is a full divine caster with the same spell progression as the Cleric and Druid (at least, close enough to qualify at the same level).

Ditto Kingdom of Kalamar's Shaman- a combo of Druid and Ranger.

And personally, I'd still make a MT with a Sorcerer if the PC concept demanded it. (Sue me- I like flexible metamagical arcane spellcasters.)

Tangential question- I don't have most of my books available right now- can an Eberron Artificer qualify for Mystic Theurge?

Last edited:

Pasus Nauran

First Post
interwyrm said:
This is why I am of the opinion that that class should have the requirement "arcane caster level 3rd, divine caster level 3rd".

I think they just hadn't thought of that yet, as the MT is in the DMG and that caster level prereq didn't show up until... complete arcane?

Huh? Sorcerer's have the same spell level progression as a Warmage, Favored Soul, etc. They're all one level behind Wizard/Cleric as far as when they get access to higher level spells.

Having played a Cleric/Wizard/MT up to 8th level, I'll tell you right now that it's slow and painful getting up to 3rd level spells. With that build, you're 3 levels behind in each class. You have a wide array of low level spells, but lack any real punch. When that character died, I contemplated creating a different MT build, but couldn't stand the thought of being even further behind.

Note regarding MTs: Spend the two feats getting "Practiced Spellcaster" (from both Complete Divine and Complete Arcane) for both your classes. Though you still lack the high level spells, it'll make up for it somewhat as you won't take the low caster level hit on your spells.

interwyrm

First Post
I was saying that it should be arcane caster level 3rd so that characters could enter with 3 levels of sorc, warlock, warmage, etc. I know, house rule.

Shallown

First Post
Practiced spellcaster is a must but not till 9th level and I would get warmage first then at 12th get favored soul.

I started this build myself but character died before I could get far enough to make a difference.

Also consider things like spontaneous healer for your favored soul side so you can basically have an extra spell and I think you'll be able to do it often enough a day to make it worth it.

It would be a very tough build but interesting to be able to self buff with favored soul and blast with warmage.

Later

IcyCool

First Post
Shallown said:
Also consider things like spontaneous healer for your favored soul side so you can basically have an extra spell and I think you'll be able to do it often enough a day to make it worth it.

Ummm.. Favored Soul is a spontaneous caster, right? I don't think spontaneous healer will be useful for you at all.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
IcyCool said:
Ummm.. Favored Soul is a spontaneous caster, right? I don't think spontaneous healer will be useful for you at all.

It would work for an archivist, but not for a favoured soul. Unless you manage to find a way to get Arcane Preparation to work on your spontaneous divine spells...

Beckett

Explorer
In one of the games I'm in, we actually have a favored soul 4/warmage 4/ mystic theurge 1. It helps a lot that we had a single class cleric (work has gotten in the way of gaming) and have a single class warmage.

From what I've seen, the strength of this combo is the obscene amount of spells per day he gets for the two spontaneous caster classes. He lacks the heavy hitting area spells of the solo warmage, but can toss plenty of MMs and orb spells. Practiced spellcaster for both classes keeps his caster level equal to his character level.

The main weakness is the lack of high level spells. He's ninth level, and it'll still be another level before he gets third level spells. If we didn't have the solo casters to cover for this aspect, we would have had a rough time.

Besides the much longer wait for high level spells, I think class abilities are the main reason this isn't a common combo. A wizard to MT loses one feat every five levels; a cleric loses his BAB and D8 hit die. Favored souls, on the other hand, get a new ability almost every level, while warmages get free sudden metamagics.

IcyCool

First Post
The OP's combo will certainly gain him a boatload of spells, but he will be even farther behind for level of spells.

Food for thought, a Dwarven Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Runesmith 1/Mystic Theurge x is a pretty nice combo. Arcane and divine spells while in Full plate.

Or, alternately, Arcane 3/Divine 3/Mystic Theurge x, with the feat from Frostburn that lets you add the cold descriptor to all of your spells, and the armor material from the same book that lets you cast spells with the [Cold] descriptor without ASF.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Another class to look at:

Spellsinger from Kingdom of Kalamar: essentially a Sorcerer (CHA based spontaneous arcane spellcaster) using the Wizard's spell progression chart, who, like the Bard, substitutes V components for S & M.

Wait...that doesn't sound right...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads