• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Narrow minded DM

Vander, where exactly in central iowa. My group is in Ankeny during the summer and Ames durin the school year. We might be having a spot open up in our game here soon

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
Vander said:
Thats were my trouble lies. Its hard to get the point across that "Player A" is not the same as a 15th level Bard with a 22 INT and a 24 CHA.
hmm.. what part of my early post:
My guess is that they reacted to your Bard as if it was YOU who said what your character said.

Am I right?

It's the universal problem with people who aren't used to roleplaying - they view the game as themselves doing stuff; they can't divorce what your PC is doing from what you are doing.
didn't ask you point blank about this? ;)

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
So you build up to a +41 Diplomacy in a Hack-n-Slash campaign before you ever tried to use the skill? That doesn't seem right. Personally, a score that high is just too annoying to deal with anyway; so I can easily see the DM ignoring it. Maybe you should try something more realistic in order to demonstrate the use of social skills...

kreynolds

First Post
Xahn'Tyr said:
So you build up to a +41 Diplomacy in a Hack-n-Slash campaign before you ever tried to use the skill? That doesn't seem right. Personally, a score that high is just too annoying to deal with anyway; so I can easily see the DM ignoring it. Maybe you should try something more realistic in order to demonstrate the use of social skills...

Cause hacknslash is so much more useful in the real world than diplomacy? Riiiigggghhhhtttt. ;)

Vander

First Post
Xahn'Tyr said:

Character was "grandfathered" in from 2E. The Diplomacy was something new for me, and seemed like a "bard thing" to do. There wasn't something like that in 2E. Actually, he was a much more versatile spellcaster in 2E cuz in 3E bards have crappy spell selections. So the focus of the character turned to more Diplomat, Charmer, etc. The +41 was from skills points, synergy bonuses, and 18 of it was from a 6 pt. dump from a Deck of Many Things. Three times! Yes, thats right. Lucky SOB, ain't I? Didn't mean it to be obscene. Just seems cool. Beleive me, even if I used a more subtle form to get my point across, it wouldn't have an effect.

lmccauley

First Post
I fancied playing a charming Rogue/Cleric as a change from the Monk I'd been running. I read through the rules on Bluff and Diplomacy and anticipated them being ignored in the heat of the game unless I brought them to the groups attention beforehand.

I talked to everyone (the group rotates DM) about how I would like to play a character like this, but that I wanted him to be effective and that would mean using the rules for Diplomacy & Bluff. I checked that no-one had a problem with this, and I went through the rules with a couple of the DMs, so that they wouldn't be surprised at how effective the character could be in the right situation.

Imagine, in the first session, how pleased the other characters were when he managed to use his Diplomacy to calm down an extremely irrate dragon that thought our party had stolen its egg!

Cheers,
Liam

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Vander said:

Actually, he was a much more versatile spellcaster in 2E cuz in 3E bards have crappy spell selections.

They cut out all the mass destruction stuff cause it's nothing for a bard, and that's fine with me. But he also got some spells that are not on the Sor/Wiz list, including the various cure spells, and he no casts spontaneously. All-in-all, the bard has won with respect to spellcasting, and the things he now can are much more suited for him than the rules in 2e.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads