Nazareth Awakened [Mage: The Awakening] [OOC]

Rubberneck

First Post
Yah I wasn't trying to oversell the power in any way. I just thought the best way to try and sell the effects is to basically remove all doubt and become agreeable. If I played it out incorrectly my bad.

Mosier

First Post
I think it's a very difficult power to role play, as I've already said to TillForPie privately. It's a subtle enough change that trying to run with it is like sewing with a rapier. One thing the GM said to me in PMs was that it's not very likely that Agnasci would contradict Gloria's suggestion that she can take care of herself and didn't need a place to stay. Agnasci did indeed contradict her just the same, but in my opinion the argument he was making was never about trusting her or having a high opinion of her. For Agnasci, he was arguing from a position of greed, not distrust. So on its face, it looks like I'm just ignoring Gloria's power.

Anyway, all in all I think the scene still went pretty well. This was the first and only moment of awkwardness I've felt this whole game, and we're one of the most content-filled games on the front page. It wasn't even really "awkward" come to think of it, just the players having a slightly different angle than the GM intended. I think part of the issue was that we took this minor power a vampire was using (who may or may not have any ill intent at all toward us) as something much more significant (or urgent, maybe? I don't know what the right word is) than it actually was.

TillForPie

First Post
One thing the GM said to me in PMs was that it's not very likely that Agnasci would contradict Gloria's suggestion that she can take care of herself and didn't need a place to stay.
I don't think I ever said this. You might be mis-remembering the pseudo-narration I provided in the IC thread.

But I agree it's a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things. I should have just mentioned my concerns OOCly at the time rather than going with the IC hints I provided - which weren't really meant to be the literal thoughts your characters were having but a kind of devil-on-the-shoulder approach to encourage role playing the effects of the power and remind people that they lasted longer than one post or decision made by the PCs. A lot of it probably stems from a poor explanation on my part.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I really think our characters would have prepared a little better than has played out. I chalk that up to being put into chapter two without having a chance to say what preparations we made in the meantime. We've rolled with it, trying to make decisions on the fly that we would have discussed over the previous days but I really think, knowing that we have to host a vampire, that we would have prepared a place beforehand.

Frankly, Harper wouldn't have even tried to wake her in the cemetery and would have suggested taking her to a safe place first.

Shayuri

First Post
That would have been a clever idea, but I think it's very plausible that they just didn't think of it beforehand. I know I didn't. :)

TillForPie

First Post
Apologies for perhaps not giving you guys the chance you needed to prepare.

As to waking her in the cemetery, that was a player decision and out of my hands.

Edit: Though I can't recall how long of a pause I allowed between Rubberneck's post about pulling out the stake and my follow-up. I'd have to go check. I'll do that when I'm on tomorrow to make the next update.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
The point, for me, is that every spur of the moment, reactive, out of control thing that has happened so far in this chapter would have played out very differently if our characters had had a plan and prepared more than grabbing a shovel or two from Faye. And I really think they would have had a plan (because I had one). It isn't any one thing more than any other but all of them taken as a whole (but culminating in the unprepared bolt hole) that annoy me. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed the chapter so far; I have. The fight with the feral vampire at the cemetery was particularly enjoyable.

Anyway, apology accepted and thanks for listening to my frustrations.

Rubberneck

First Post
I'll take the blame for waking the vampire haha it was a bit impulsive. Sometimes I get ahead of myself and I'll try to knock it down a notch and give other players time to pitch their ideas. Sometimes the game seems to grind to a halt and I understand that people have lives outside of the game I just get bored at work and post lol. I'm a Security Guard and I sit in a tiny box all day.

TillForPie

First Post
Don't sweat it, Rubberneck. The main issue was my not including a prompt allowing people to explain what they spent the two days between the end of Chapter 01 and the beginning of Chapter 02 doing. People had the time to discuss what they wanted to do (throughout and at the end of Chapter 01 during that final scene) but if I'd included that maybe Harper could have tried to set his plan in motion, whatever it was.

As the GM of a play-by-post game I'm always having to maintain a balance between letting things get stale when nobody is doing anything (which is why I've asked that even if a PC has nothing more to say their player post that this is the case) and fast-forwarding too much and maybe depriving players of agency. We're all bound to make mistakes and I rely on feedback from you guys to keep things moving smoothly.

TillForPie

First Post
My schedule's all messed up so I've been feeling pretty out of it the last few days. I'll be busy all day tomorrow so I hope to have a substantial post up on Saturday (assuming everything is ready to proceed ICly by then).

Remove ads