Nazareth Awakened [Mage: The Awakening] [OOC]

TillForPie

First Post
If you wouldn't mind posting the results here?

I have something in mind to narrate if she succeeds.
Oops, too late. She did in fact succeed. All yours now (keeping in mind that Chance's success doesn't make her aware of the compulsion, it merely frees her from it)!

GlassEye

Adventurer
Good going GlassEye! The song Harper's thinking of was the inspiration for the name. I was considering it for the next musical reference and everything.

I've heard both of those songs but the one that came to my mind was the Laura Branigan song. So I wasn't quite as spot-on as you thought. Your musical inspirations seem to come from the blues/rock genres (unlike mine which is more pop/disco). Your use of music and other elements that engage outside the game itself is just one part of what makes this game awesome. So, thanks ('cause GMs never get enough praise for their hard work)!

Rubberneck

First Post
I'm operating under the assumption that the conversation in the back seat is being said at a whisper and Law can't hear it. Otherwise this all would be awkward lol

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm operating under the assumption that the conversation in the back seat is being said at a whisper and Law can't hear it. Otherwise this all would be awkward lol

Harper is in the front seat for a change so I'd guess no whispering. Besides, he'd rather plant that seed of doubt.

EDIT: And I hope you all had enjoyable halloween celebrations. :)

TillForPie

First Post
I've got to say I'm not totally satisfied with how the effects of Gloria's power played out. I'm not going to dwell on it, but I felt like there were times where some of those affected went out of their way to behave as conspicuously as possible. I know not being in total control of your characters' faculties (whether as a result of a power like Gloria's or from a Bedlam derangement) doesn't sound too fun but you might be surprised how enjoyable it is if you let yourself get into it and really try to sell the effect. Just bringing this up as a note for next time!

Shayuri

First Post
Sorry. It's difficult to judge. When you say, "You really trust this person," but your character is a naturally distrustful person, how do you not behave out of character? I'm not saying this to be confrontational, I seriously don't know what to do.

I feel like the vampire power is very weirdly constructed, to be honest. I get the idea is, "You're being mind controlled, but no one can tell," but that just seems like an innately nonsensical proposition to me.

TillForPie

First Post
Sorry. It's difficult to judge. When you say, "You really trust this person," but your character is a naturally distrustful person, how do you not behave out of character? I'm not saying this to be confrontational, I seriously don't know what to do.

I feel like the vampire power is very weirdly constructed, to be honest. I get the idea is, "You're being mind controlled, but no one can tell," but that just seems like an innately nonsensical proposition to me.
The power simply temporarily improves the victim's opinion of the user. The players are always making decisions for their characters based on how they think their characters feel - in this circumstance the "how they think their characters feel" is replaced with "a positive opinion of the user of the power."

Being naturally distrustful doesn't offer any more protection against a vampire's Majesty powers than it does against a mage's Mind spells. Both subvert the normal functioning of the subject's thoughts. It might be helpful to think of the effect as a mild derangement. When Agnasci was afflicted by the Irrationality Bedlam as a result of an out-of-control paradox his being a generally rational and logical person provided him no defense - he was literally not in his right mind for its duration.

I think Mosier's most recent few posts have been a good example of a reasonable demonstration of the effect of the power and his character is about as untrusting and cynical as one can be.

I do think it's very much the natural response as a player to try to either zombie-out and become passive or else act very conspicuously in order to alert allies when such a thing is happening, but that undercuts the suspense in what is supposed to be a tense game of supernatural horror. I felt that, given the prevalence of supernatural powers that can effect the mind in World of Darkness (and especially in Mage: The Awakening), it would be best if I brought up that I thought that things could have been handled better.

The biggest point I want to make is that I'm still enjoying the game a great deal. This is ultimately just like a 3 out of 10 on the "How Big Of A Deal Is It?" scale.

Shayuri

First Post
My point wasn't that it gives protection, it's that it makes the change kind of obvious. :)

Law doesn't trust all of US as much as he's seeming to trust Gloria. So it makes it fairly clear something's up.

For what it's worth, I don't see how the players could have done it much better. You're sort of telling them, "Okay, you're feeling and thinking things your character wouldn't...but try to make it inconspicuous."

I don't see how that's really possible though. If I am known to hate onions, and a vampire makes me love onions, folks are gonna notice when I start happily eating onions....even if I am magically manipulated not to understand the change.

Last edited:

Remove ads