"Necessary Evil" OOC

Insight

Adventurer
@Insight When can you (roughly) finish the character. One of the next posts will introduce your character to the game. Or do you think you can already do the role-playing stuff.

I'm working on the powers as I type this. I can start RP'ing immediately; I have a good idea of Cybermind's personality and motivations.

EDIT: Done with the mechanical parts of the build. Let me know if everything is OK. I'll add the last details later today.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Insight:

a) What is the in-game explanation for Cyberminds high Toughness?

b) Why is 'Machine Animation' a Summon and not an Animation power? I would like the second more. Currently Cybermind could summon a Transformer from nowhere in the middle of the ocean.

c) In this campaign, Wealth will be of limited benefit. Some things are restricted by the Alien occupants and wealth is also mostly a sign for collaboratives.

d) What is the effect of 'rapid 3' in your Communication power.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Added the PP to Helis. He has now the Teamwork feat at 2 ranks, reflecting his new appreciation of collaboration. And also, a new alternate power, Makhaira, it's another type of greek sword, used to deliver exceptionally heavy blows.
AP: Makhaira (Strike) 8
>>EX: Penetrating, Alternate Save: Fort
>>PF: Affect insubstantials, Incurable

Insight

Adventurer
Insight:

a) What is the in-game explanation for Cyberminds high Toughness?

I didn't realize it was high. It's at the PL limit with Defensive Roll. I don't really have a specific reason other than that he has no defensive powers. I can lower the base Toughness and increase Defensive Roll, to reflect more skill-based combat training.

b) Why is 'Machine Animation' a Summon and not an Animation power? I would like the second more. Currently Cybermind could summon a Transformer from nowhere in the middle of the ocean.

I built the power as it is built in Ultimate Power. There is no "animate" power in Ultimate Power. I would prefer your version, to be honest. I suppose I can add another flaw to represent that he can only use existing electronic machines within 30ft or so.

c) In this campaign, Wealth will be of limited benefit. Some things are restricted by the Alien occupants and wealth is also mostly a sign for collaboratives.

To be honest, I was not aware of any alien invasion in the backstory, seeing as I've not read through it. I don't mind spending the points however, even if the Wealth benefit really isn't going to be used. Are computers networks (especially things like the Internet, satellites, and cell phone networks) still in place? If not, that would make Cybermind kinda useless.

d) What is the effect of 'rapid 3' in your Communication power?

It means that Cybermind can communicate with computers/electronics 1,000 as fast as human beings communicate with each other.

Thanee

First Post
I built the power as it is built in Ultimate Power. There is no "animate" power in Ultimate Power. I would prefer your version, to be honest. I suppose I can add another flaw to represent that he can only use existing electronic machines within 30ft or so.

Try page 136 UP :)

To be honest, I was not aware of any alien invasion in the backstory, seeing as I've not read through it. I don't mind spending the points however, even if the Wealth benefit really isn't going to be used. Are computers networks (especially things like the Internet, satellites, and cell phone networks) still in place?

Pretty sure that they are.

Bye
Thanee

Walking Dad

First Post
I didn't realize it was high. It's at the PL limit with Defensive Roll. I don't really have a specific reason other than that he has no defensive powers. I can lower the base Toughness and increase Defensive Roll, to reflect more skill-based combat training.
I think you cannot even 'buy' base Toughness by the rules.
Normal beings have their Con mod plus possible feat bonuses plus equipment bonus for a Toughness save.
So 7 levels are unaccounted for.
There is a 'Tough' feat in Wizards & Warriors' that gives +1 Toughness each rank, limited to 3 ranks.
Otherwise I would suggest to buy it as equipment. An Undercover Vest is subtle and give +3 to to toughness (M&M core p 141).
You could take both of this and increase your defensive roll feat by 1.
That or the Protection power.

page 136 UP, as Thanee said. And M&M core p 76.

But you are right, it is a summon effect. But having to use with some objects (machines in your case) is surely a -1 Flaw, bringing the cost back to 3 PP/rank (for it's increased range) (I increased the cost of Summon in my blog).

The above is added to the blog.

To be honest, I was not aware of any alien invasion in the backstory, seeing as I've not read through it. I don't mind spending the points however, even if the Wealth benefit really isn't going to be used. Are computers networks (especially things like the Internet, satellites, and cell phone networks) still in place? If not, that would make Cybermind kinda useless.
They work, but are now monitored by the Alien invaders (as much as by the government, before). So he could be really useful for blocking their intelligence on you in addition to the things you may have thought first.

It means that Cybermind can communicate with computers/electronics 1,000 as fast as human beings communicate with each other.
I'm fine with that.

Insight

Adventurer
I think you cannot even 'buy' base Toughness by the rules.
Normal beings have their Con mod plus possible feat bonuses plus equipment bonus for a Toughness save.
So 7 levels are unaccounted for.
There is a 'Tough' feat in Wizards & Warriors' that gives +1 Toughness each rank, limited to 3 ranks.
Otherwise I would suggest to buy it as equipment. An Undercover Vest is subtle and give +3 to to toughness (M&M core p 141).
You could take both of this and increase your defensive roll feat by 1.
That or the Protection power.

I picked up the Equipment feat and got the vest and a smart phone. His Con is increased by 1. And I got some more Defensive Roll. See his new Toughness above.

page 136 UP, as Thanee said. And M&M core p 76.

But you are right, it is a summon effect. But having to use with some objects (machines in your case) is surely a -1 Flaw, bringing the cost back to 3 PP/rank (for it's increased range) (I increased the cost of Summon in my blog).

The above is added to the blog.

I applied the flaw so its now down to 1pp/rank.

They work, but are now monitored by the Alien invaders (as much as by the government, before). So he could be really useful for blocking their intelligence on you in addition to the things you may have thought first.

It's probably worth noting that Cybermind's power to communicate with machines is subtle, which helps him avoid detection.

BTW I now have 12pp left to spend. I'll see what I can do with this largesse.

Remove ads