• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer's City of Brass

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
EricNoah said:
I guess you can't please everybody. :)
What?!? Since when?

That wrecks my whole "Monty Haul on Steroids" style of DM'ing. :D

--

On another note, I have the Hackmaster City of Brass as well as the WotC version found in the Planar Handbook. I look forward to seeing Necromancer's version.

Treebore

First Post
I love boxed sets. I will definitely be buying three copies of this. Its going to be a "classic".

I have no doubt of it, Case and Scott wrote much of it. :)

bowbe

First Post
;) books 1, 2, and 4 are for sure hahaha.

You know this isn't the first time our friends have gutted me with an edition change the day before Gen Con! The last time of course was with Vampires and Liches... and all that really id was add 2 years to the time that the print run sold out.

That said I think that COB is a wholesome enough product to survive even a drastic rules revision. Rules dont change settings so much or role play so much they just change what the dice "do". I mean how many people buy D20 modules and run em for Gurps, True 20, Castles & Crusades, OD&D or AD&D? Truth is we don't know. For every person that posts on messageboards there are still 25 or more guys living in their moms basement running their own game.

Likewise the earliest we should see any 4ed books is late spring/early summer of 08 and probably Gen Con 08 as thats the largest captive audience for D&D and RPGs in general on the planet. My playtest beta group finished their campaign in just about 10 months of once per week 4-6 hour sessions.

And of corse ;) with a print run of 1000-1500 copies, shoot, there will be enough 3.5 ed holdouts to move it even if its as a protest vote against 4ed.

Now if Necromancer went the route of some companies who roll out 5000+ copies of a product and end up holding the bag on 3500 copies I would be crying real tears right now.

Case

Vocenoctum

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Heh, I felt like a lone voice in the wilderness in those days. My boxed sets ended up a loose set of booklets and pieces of paper in record time, back in the old days. The hardcovers, though, are still in good shape.

I liked the AlQadim ones that were thing. Too many of the other ones (especially Planescape) were 3" thick with 1/2" of book to them.

OTOH, the folder format of Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde was a nice alternative.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi Bowbe,

Are there any full adventures in the books? If so, for what level? Or is the format a description of lots of locations plus the 101 Adventure Seeds?

Cheers

Richard

bowbe

First Post
Book 2, 1001 Efreeti Nights is 1 "wilderness/exploration" and 9 detailed "dungeons". The wilderness being a primer for characters of 12th+ level to get to the plane of molten skies. The 9 "dungeons" are locations in the city of brass.

Its open ended enough in design that the 10 adventures when mixed with other fantastic locations detailed in book 1 create a mega campaign or "adventure path" if you will for characters to move from 12th-22nd+ level depending on how they level. Every "dungeon" chapter basically adds +1-3 levels to the "challenge" in order to survive.

If the mega-campaign is not used, the 10 "adventures" may be played as independent adventures, should the PCs visit any of these places in search of splendor, fame, loot, or imfamy.

If that makes any sense? Early in the design process we sorta realized that 9 of the locations were just too "cool" concept wise to give a paragraph to, and needed a "dungeon level detail".

Anyhow, plane leaves in a couple hours! More when I return if the thread isnt completely buried by the 4rons vs 3tards debate!

Case

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads