• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer's City of Brass

Nifft

Penguin Herder
RichGreen said:
Bought it yesterday. It's a very heavy, sturdy boxed set with the four booklets filling it completely. Haven't had a chance to read more than the intro so far but it looks cool.
Please keep us updated!

I'm eagerly anticipating this one. :)

Thanks, -- N

Treebore

First Post
D20Dazza said:
I'm going to wait for the 4e version - keen to get it when it comes out though ;)

If we ever see a 4E version from Necromancer I'll be shocked. Then again their partnering with Paizo may be such a boost that it may happen.

Still, I give such a thing happening a less than 03% chance.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Well, I'm all over this! (COme next payday.) :lol:

I have yet to be disappointed with a Necro release, even at that price point. (I'm a card-carrying RAR member!!)

Treebore

First Post
ShadowDenizen said:
Well, I'm all over this! (COme next payday.) :lol:

I have yet to be disappointed with a Necro release, even at that price point. (I'm a card-carrying RAR member!!)

I have 3 cards! :p

;) :lol:

Treebore

First Post
DaveMage said:
I had three - gave one away. :)

Kept all of mine. Got 3 kids who will hopefully be gamers for life that will inherit them. Which I think you know since you go to the Necro boars. :D

Ordered my City of Brass from Amazon today, two day shipping, so it will be boxed and sent Monday and arrive Wednesday.

I'm not a reviewer, but as I've had this since the 15th I'll try to post something.

1. You're getting your money's worth - the page count of the books completely fills the box. A lot of the monsters in the third book are creatures from older source material that isn't in the SRD, like some yugoloths and stuff.

2. The first book is full of places and light on details. Concepts range from "cute" to "really original". None of this stuff is the slightest railroaded - it's the kind of place that adventurers could just explore and look for neat things to kill. There's lots of potential for role-playing and politicking, but it's not scripted - the GM will have to come up with stuff.

3. The Necromancer people didn't shy away from the more "adult" enterainments available in a city of vile debauchery. Fortunately, details are left to the imagination. But if you've got perverts for players, they'll disappear into the souk and never be seen again. ;)

4. The second book has the more "dungeon-y" locations. These are chained together in a loosely-organized campaign plot, but I think it will want expanding or rewriting for most GMs. The flavor of these locales is excellent, I'd say. They make use of everything they could get from the SRD and then some, so the variety of encounter is pretty good for a city full of efreet.

5. The plot is, overall, free of railroading. I'm almost going to have to build some tracks for my players (who like riding the rails) to follow. Basically, get your players to settle on a goal and then make them figure out how to accomplish it.

6. If you don't want to do a full City of Brass campaign, you'll still have no problem using this material, even just as a place to wander in and buy stuff. But you'll be missing out.

All in all, if you like Necromancer stuff and don't mind writing your own material to develop the campaign further, this is for you. If you're hoping for something you can sit down next week and play, you might look elsewhere. I'm not regretting my payment, and I'm looking forward to running it.

sckeener

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
What we were doing was "Egyptian D&D." Hamunaptra was meant to fall into the same neighborhood as Al-Qadim and Nyambe--that is, to take the D&D defaults and tweak them for an Egyptian flavor/mood/feel/theme, rather than to try to model a historical period. We did a lot of historical research, yes, to make it "as Egyptian" as possible. But at the end of the day, our objective was to create a D&D supplement.

And thank you because I had to merge that with standard D&D and having something where the focus was already standard D&D with an Egyptian theme was a plus....thanks!

As for the OP, I'm still waiting my copy of City of Brass. I am eagerly looking forward to this product and have been for months.

Mouseferatu said:
The Doom of Listonshire

I just wanted to threadjack for a moment to say that The Doom, of Listonshire kicks so much ass that its ridiculous.

On a related note, I am probably going to get The City of Brass. I hope that it turns out as cool as it sounds like it could be.

Later
silver

carmachu

Adventurer
TerraDave said:
Someone actually have this long rumored box set? Any thing you would like to share?

WWP08359_500.jpeg

Please.

It arrived a couple days ago from pre-order. Its very nice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads