• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need a good mapping program

kenc

First Post
Looking for a good dungeon and overland map maker. Free would be the best option since I am on limited funds at the moment.

Thanks.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I use Interactive Dungeon for dungeon maps in my PbP game. It's limited, but gets the job done.

Autorealm does decent overland maps, but has a bit of a learning curve to get it to do what you want it to do. It can do dungeon maps too but I've never managed to get them to look good.

Campaign Cartographer II is the best mapper out there, from what I understand, but it costs $70 and is out of most casual gamers' price range. Module writers often use it to create their professional-looking maps.

MarauderX

Explorer
Or you could go super-high end and get AutoCAD. I think I am going to put all of my campaign maps on the same drawing and in scale. That way I can just zoom in to print out the 5' square maps for encounters then zoom out to the overland 12 mile hex grid. It gives a great overland means to keep track of what is where and how far using the overland traveling estimates in the SRD. Import images of the baddies that you are going to fight, plans from other programs, or 3D shots of places you had seen rendered somewhere.

Remove ads