• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need Help with a Warlock Build

Wrathamon

Adventurer
if your DM gives out +1 chain shirts and rings of protection a lot like most do... you may want to buy stuff that is less common and hope you can survive with 2 less AC. If you are fighting at range like a warlock normally does, then it shouldnt be an issue.

I found playing a warlock to get extremely boring at low levels in fights, because you are just blasting, so I started another warlock and went with stuff that didnt buff my EB at the low levels.

I loved the roleplaying stuff thou.

and...

Baleful utterence is very very powerful at low levels, as is the one that lets you summon a swarm! Certain swarms, like the spiders are immune to weapon attacks.

See the Unseen is very very useful if your DM likes to have invisible enemies... it really ruins their ambushes.

You can swap these out at higher levels for more useful invocations when they are no longer as effective.

Octal40

Explorer
One I didn't see mentioned that is just killer for Warlocks is Mortalbane from the Book of Vile Darkness. +2d6 on all energy based attacks against living non-Outsiders? Yes, please!
Probably because Eldritch Blast isn't an energy attack. It does not have an energy type (so no creature can reduce its damage based on their DR unless it's DR/-).

Taloras

First Post
Octal40 said:
Probably because Eldritch Blast isn't an energy attack. It does not have an energy type (so no creature can reduce its damage based on their DR unless it's DR/-).

Im not seeing in the description of Mortalbane that its energy damage.

A mortalbane ability is a damaging spell like ability that deals 2d6 points of aditional damage when used against living nonoutsiders, but only half damage when used against outsiders, undead, and constructs.

It says nothing about energy damage, its not listed in the Errata, nor is it in the FAQ. So technically, it would work. :) However, I as a DM would definitely consider that an evil feat, and would bar any CG or CN characters from taking it.(as a rule, I require an evil alignment to use anything from BoVD, and a good alignment for anything from BoED).

Octal40

Explorer
Im not seeing in the description of Mortalbane that its energy damage.
Well! That's what I get for posting a rule clarification based only on the data in the thread rather than the actual RAW. ;)

So, yeah. If Mortalbane isn't typed, the EB would be affected by it. Good to know.

Jhulae

First Post
Octal40 said:

DR of X/- doesn't protect against magical damage such as from spells or spell like abilities. (No DR does, actually).

Remove ads