• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need help with sneak attacks & overcoming DR

Hedrin

First Post
OK, Sniffles and I have been asked to help a friend (Anthony Pryor of the "Way back I invented the Red Wizards of Thay" fame) playtest a monster from an upcoming D20 product (don't ask I don't know any more!). We're going to be 20th level and the GM has told us that we need to be ready to fight a big bad underwater monster with lots of DR. We'll be provided with breathing and freedom of underwater movement stuff, so we don't have to worry about that. I'm asking around for help. If he's dumb enough to give us advance warning and 220,000 gp to play around with... who am I to not take advantage of it?

I'm going with 15 levels of Rogue, 2 levels of Fortune's Favorite, and 3 levels of Uncanny Trickster. Those last two come from the Complete Scoundrel, a book I think I'm going to come to love. I'm taking lots of the new trick and luck feats from that book.

What I need help with is sneaky but legal ways to overcome DR and more ways to get more sneak attacks. Anybody wanna help?

Hedrin

Pyrex

First Post
Max out your UMD and pick up a wand of Orb of Force and a wand of Greater Invisibility.

That'll get you one DR-free Sneak Attack per round (unless it can See Invisible, in which case you'll need to resort to Flanking it or Bluffing it).

Or get a set of +1 Harpoons of various metals and sets of Oils of Align Weapon.

If you plan to be in melee, buy Metalline weapons (+2 property from one of the drow books. Allows you to change what type of metal your weapon is made of with a standard action)

starwed

First Post
There's a material in the Complete Adventurer which allows your weapon to overcome silver DR, and it's very cheap. I think it's even an alchemical capsule, so you can activate it as a swift action.

Darklone

MiniHB: Weapon of Transmutation. One hit, next round the weapon will overcome any DR. 50K gp.

You just need to survive long enough right next to a big bad evil CR 20 monster. Or worse.

Blinking would be fine. Mirror Image might be a life saver. Max out UMD at all costs. Get some Contingencies cast on you for the cash (Heal, DimDoor... ). What's your buddy going to be?

And how do you plan to be able to sneak attack? Besides: What do you do if the monster is undead or a construct?

szilard

First Post
A wand of Summon Nature's Ally might be worthwhile. If you can't get it flat-footed, you'll want to flank it. Getting as many Water Elementals as you can would be a good way of accomplishing that.

-Stuart

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If you can find some way to make all your attacks touch attacks, you can ignore DR - Wraithstrike, Deep Impact psionic feat, Shapechange into a dread wraith or a spectre...

... you know, I'm liking the spectre idea. I'd prefer the wraith's Con drain, but I suspect a big bad underwater monster would have a stellar Fort save.

Get a Ghost Touch weapon based on one of the earlier suggestions, like Darklone's Weapon of Trasmutation. Shapechange into a spectre. Make your normal sneak attacks with the weapon, and use the incorporeal touch as a secondary natural attack (it's a touch attack, so the -5 shouldn't worry you), and drain two levels a round...

-Hyp.

Pyrex

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If you can find some way to make all your attacks touch attacks, you can ignore DR - Wraithstrike, Deep Impact psionic feat, Shapechange into a dread wraith or a spectre...

Touch attacks ignore DR? :eek:

Yeah, Shapechangeing into undead works, but I don't see how Deep Impact bypasses DR...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Pyrex said:
Touch attacks ignore DR? :eek:

Yeah, Shapechangeing into undead works, but I don't see how Deep Impact bypasses DR...

"Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains."

-Hyp.

Remove ads